Longbeard XR vs Cabela's choke tubes

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When i used to shoot Lead turkey loads. MY mossy 500 and 535 with a cheap undertaker choke tube would throw longbeard xr loads very tight. Killing patterns on paper past 60 easily.  The last coup

River is not going to be happy about this... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suspect you'll like the pellet count of the 6s vs the 5s  on target....I used to use #4 shot, because I suspected that  #6 shot didn't have the energy to do the job at 40 yards and beyond... Th

Posted Images

On 4/3/2021 at 6:15 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Wish I could try it first, 70$ + shipping.

Just pay attention to your constriction sizes as you try these chokes and what your patterns are doing. Its not just the brand of choke that makes a gun perform.. Constriction sizes of these chokes are what matter most, choke design can/will further that performance, with certain loads. 

Mossberg 500 is not overbored like the 835 or other guns.. So typically a tighter choke will usually help. 

when i shot my 500, i had a undertaker in it and it was lights out to 50(on paper)

23 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Just pay attention to your constriction sizes as you try these chokes and what your patterns are doing. Its not just the brand of choke that makes a gun perform.. Constriction sizes of these chokes are what matter most, choke design can/will further that performance, with certain loads. 

Mossberg 500 is not overbored like the 835 or other guns.. So typically a tighter choke will usually help. 

when i shot my 500, i had a undertaker in it and it was lights out to 50(on paper)

Yeah I was reading about that.  The Indian Creek choke available for Mossberg accuchoke is a .675, the undertaker is .665.  We'll see which is better for the #5 XX's.

They're gobbling their heads off at my house this morning!

• Like 1
On 4/8/2021 at 7:31 AM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yeah I was reading about that.  The Indian Creek choke available for Mossberg accuchoke is a .675, the undertaker is .665.  We'll see which is better for the #5 XX's.

They're gobbling their heads off at my house this morning!

ITs funny I mentioned this, I shot my 410 over the weekend and the cheap factory choke performed better than the 75$ Indian creek choke. Both being slightly different in constriction(.005") tells me how important the numbers game really is per shot size. 

Also shot my 28ga as well and the Indian creek out performed the Carlsons (cheaper choke by far) but like the 410, they both were .005" different in constriciton 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

ITs funny I mentioned this, I shot my 410 over the weekend and the cheap factory choke performed better than the 75$ Indian creek choke. Both being slightly different in constriction(.005") tells me how important the numbers game really is per shot size. 

Also shot my 28ga as well and the Indian creek out performed the Carlsons (cheaper choke by far) but like the 410, they both were .005" different in constriciton 

Its going to be interesting, tomorrow I should be able to try out the undertaker with #5 shot.

Ding ding, winner!  Need to adjust the sight down a bit, aiming points are marked with the big X on the paper, but longbeard XR #5 + undertaker is throwing a nice pattern to 40.  Of course I forgot my screw driver set, but it gives me an excuse to come back next week.

IMG_20210415_123608.jpg

IMG_20210415_123254.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldn't lower your site.  Your pattern is hitting the neck and head while aiming where the feathers on the neck stop.

If you lower the site, your beed is going to be covering up the head. I like to see the head rather than covering it. 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

My memory I shot, sorry if it’s dry but do you have any other loads to try? You should still be shooting better IMO. But the X-r and undertaker is decent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 8 rounds of XR #5 and about 2 boxes of XX #5.  Wish I had some good #6 to play with.  No ammo anywhere that I can find.  I really prefer to out the sight right in the middle of the neck, maybe tweak the sight down just a smidge.