Longbeard XR vs Cabela's choke tubes

UpStateRedNeck

Turkey Choke, 12 Gauge, Mossberg 500 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UH1HZM8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A7PFEbJ9YGWSE

VS

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/blackmaxx-turkey-choke-tube

Carlson's Choke Tubes Winchester Long Beard Ported Longbeard XR wins by.... Alot.  Forgive the ghetto targets.

IMG_20200327_180358.thumb.jpg.dfbff63d8ed8424cfe5b5eea40afc502.jpgIMG_20200327_180419.thumb.jpg.84b1ee3036bfcdfdafdb53ac50308183.jpg

IMG_20200327_180408.jpg

IMG_20200327_180433.jpg

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Non-ghetto targets and more longbeard XR arriving by Friday, want to test #5 v #6 shot.  Seems to have about an 8" drop at 50 right now.  Mostly this is to (hopefully) keep the pellets out of the frigging breast meat!

I suspect you'll like the pellet count of the 6s vs the 5s  on target....I used to use #4 shot, because I suspected that  #6 shot didn't have the energy to do the job at 40 yards and beyond...

Then I watched my Canadian partner swat several gobblers at 45-50 yards with #6 shot, all clean kills...

Individual pellet energy be damned, a good pattern of #6 shot will knock the snot out of a gobbler at 50 yards, as long as you have enough pattern density for multiple hits.. I've been using 6s now for the last 15 years or so, with no bad experiences...

• Like 4

Anybody remember the old 2x6 shot?  Don't know if they make it any more.  The #2 for smashing foliage before the #6 swatted the gobbler.  Used to love that back in the 90s.  One time I called in a big gobbler to the other side of a stone wall, shot at about 15 feet.  There was just a shred of skin holding his neck about halfway up.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

25 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Anybody remember the old 2x6 shot?  Don't know if they make it any more.  The #2 for smashing foliage before the #6 swatted the gobbler.  Used to love that back in the 90s.  One time I called in a big gobbler to the other side of a stone wall, shot at about 15 feet.  There was just a shred of skin holding his neck about halfway up.

I believe they were the Remington Duplex loads.

I used em, and wouldn't be surprised if I've got a couple lost in a box somewhere. 

33 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

#2’s down to 8’s   Tss #9’s no bueno in NYS and reading the combo of 7.5’s and 9’s are one heck of a load with coverage too. 

Ive got Tungsten 2s, 4s and 2x4 duplexs loaded up for coyotes, they should wreck a bird out to 100-150 maybe?? lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I believe they were the Remington Duplex loads.

I used em, and wouldn't be surprised if I've got a couple lost in a box somewhere. 

I have got a few left, also a few  4x6...When I first got my Rem 11-87 SP I had trouble finding loads that patterned well with the factory full choke tube that came with it...I settled on Rem Duplex 4x6 and killed a few birds with them, but I still wasn't thrilled with the pattern...

Then aftermarket choke tubes became more available and I bought a Kick's Gobblin Thunder .665, which patterns well with either  #4  or #6    3" copper plated buffered loads... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Los Lobos said:

I reload my own, 12 ga  2 3/4",  2 x 4's, high brass.  Haven't loss a bird in the last 20 years, all clean head shots 20 to  40 yards out.  My shotgun is a Savage 720, semi-auto, 32" full choke smooth bore, great gun for turkeys.

Fine vintage shotgun...That was Savages version of John Browning's A -5, manufactured after Browning's and Remington's patents expired...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have got a few left, also a few  4x6...When I first got my Rem 11-87 SP I had trouble finding loads that patterned well with the factory full choke tube that came with it...I settled on Rem Duplex 4x6 and killed a few birds with them, but I still wasn't thrilled with the pattern...

Then aftermarket choke tubes became more available and I bought a Kick's Gobblin Thunder .665, which patterns well with either  #4  or #6    3" copper plated buffered loads... 

Never used the 4x6.  I agree the pattern wasn't the best, but my factory choke from my 11-87 nwtf did ok with them.   Shoot a jellyhead choke now.  Don't recall the number tho. 

2 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Don't know if they make them either, but I've got some left.

ED0043F4-4D73-42A3-95BA-4DCCAE5E054E.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

Never used the 4x6.  I agree the pattern wasn't the best, but my factory choke from my 11-87 nwtf did ok with them.   Shoot a jellyhead choke now.  Don't recall the number tho. 

We may have the same gun....Mine was  NWTF Gun of the Year,  1993 IIRC...It is Trebark camo, 21" BBL...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Still-- #2s are proven Man killers without any plating.  I have not seen any for sale in years in my area. They were very popular early on.

They were popular here in the early days also...Guys with no experience hunting turkeys ( and very little info in print in those days) reasoned that BIG birds required BIG shot...I knew a couple of guys who even went so far as to cheat using BBs..One old guy used steel wool to sand off the printing on the shells, is case he got checked...I don't think he ever killed a turkey...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Still-- #2s are proven Man killers without any plating.  I have not seen any for sale in years in my area. They were very popular early on.

Killed my first turkey with a Browning A-5 12ga. 2 3/4" #2's.  Original barrel. Probably 35 or so years ago. That was before turkey guns and turkey loads. Was the way to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Pygmy,

here's a pic from last yr.  Often thought about getting a new turkey getter, but this one works well. 

IMG_20190503_063805712.jpg

Hehehehe...YUP,   that's my gun ...Except mine is wearing a Leupold  1 x 4 variable now...

I used the aftermarket fiber optic sights like you have for years until my eyes went to hell..

Tried a red dot and did not care for it..Finally  settled on the low powered Leupold for turkeys..

I also have a 28" VR barrel that I use for ducks and geese, although  I did some pretty fancy shooting at waterfowl a few times with the 21" BBL  and an IC choke tube, using steel shot...

13 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Hehehehe...YUP,   that's my gun ...Except mine is wearing a Leupold  1 x 4 variable now...

I used the aftermarket fiber optic sights like you have for years until my eyes went to hell..

Tried a red dot and did not care for it..Finally  settled on the low powered Leupold for turkeys..

I also have a 28" VR barrel that I use for ducks and geese, although  I did some pretty fancy shooting at waterfowl a few times with the 21" BBL  and an IC choke tube, using steel shot...

How did you mount the scope? No drilling or tapping? 

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

How did you mount the scope? No drilling or tapping? 

I bought an aftermarket cantilever that attaches to the vent rib with set screws....It adds a little weight to the gun, but as you know, it's not a featherweight anyway,  and anytime I am turkey hunting and not set up, my gun is slung, so weight is not a big issue..

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I bought an aftermarket cantilever that attaches to the vent rib with set screws....It adds a little weight to the gun, but as you know, it's not a featherweight anyway,  and anytime I am turkey hunting and not set up, my gun is slung, so weight is not a big issue..

Just did a quick search. Only found a cantilever barrel.   Several saddle types thought.  Like you, my eyes are not what they used to be.  Thinking a scope is a necessity, not just a want..

Edited by mowin

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

Just did a quick search. Only found a cantilever barrel.   Several saddle types thought.  Like you, my eyes are not what they used to be.  Thinking a scope is a necessity, not just a want..

I just  checked mine...Made by  B- Square....Well made  and works well .. I hope they still are in business...Good luck..

• Like 1