How much ammo do you or should you keep on hand

I guess I had the AR and a mini and figured I don’t need it. When I do see them they are bringing good money. 

I have an extra 35 Rem carbine in synthetic and matt finish that I originally was going to rechamber to 358 Win but if you own Whelens that does not make sense. Just another hard to get and expensive caliber to stock. 

Cant wait for deer season.

I guess I had the AR and a mini and figured I don’t need it. When I do see them they are bringing good money. 

I have an extra 35 Rem carbine in synthetic and matt finish that I originally was going to rechamber to 358 Win but if you own Whelens that does not make sense. Just another hard to get and expensive caliber to stock. 

Cant wait for deer season.

I have a couple 358’s that I’ve had rebored from 308’s. It’s a good cartridge but ammo can be tricky to find and expensive when you do. I also have a 338fed from back when that was the rage but it’s never been in the woods and haven’t shot it or even looked at it in probably 10 years. There was a time when I bought every pump I found when they were cheap and haven’t bought one now in a few years other than some special editions here and there. I couldn’t even tell you how many I own now but it’s way more than I’ll ever need.

Is your 35rem one of Grices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

right, wrong or whatever I generally have about 40 rounds for each caliber. So basically a few boxes each. I understand the idea to be prepared. But if shit really hits the fan, do you really think you'll ever really shoot hundreds of rounds at other humans or wild game without the chance to also acquire the ammo of those you shot?

I think the only argument to really stockpile ammo is if you're going to run a cult and or feel you'll need to be training new shooters. just my .02. Certaintly it is better to have and not need. 

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

right, wrong or whatever I generally have about 40 rounds for each caliber. So basically a few boxes each. I understand the idea to be prepared. But if shit really hits the fan, do you really think you'll ever really shoot hundreds of rounds at other humans or wild game without the chance to also acquire the ammo of those you shot?

I think the only argument to really stockpile ammo is if you're going to run a cult and or feel you'll need to be training new shooters. just my .02. Certaintly it is better to have and not need. 

To each their own, but my guns are basically for hunting and a very occasional fun plinking day. I honestly never think about having to arm myself an apocalypse or a breakdown of government or even basic home defense. I'll tell you what, if humanity depends on me and my trusty Remington 550, we're pretty much screwed :)  I'm sure there are some on here that think that is stupid or shortsighted, but I'll leave you to your own devices if you leave me to mine. 

As long as I have enough to go hunting with, I'm happy :) 

• Like 1

I can’t speak for others but for me it’s not a apocalypse hoarding issue at all. I just shoot a lot, I enjoy shooting and don’t want to be in a position where I can’t. So if we have another long shortage like we all went through years ago I don’t have to change my shooting hobbies. I also shoot enough and have a good storage system so I never have to worry about my ammo getting old.

I know guys that have thousands of rounds stored for for the governmental failure and like you I don’t see ammo ever being the big issue when that happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have a couple 358’s that I’ve had rebored from 308’s. It’s a good cartridge but ammo can be tricky to find and expensive when you do. I also have a 338fed from back when that was the rage but it’s never been in the woods and haven’t shot it or even looked at it in probably 10 years. There was a time when I bought every pump I found when they were cheap and haven’t bought one now in a few years other than some special editions here and there. I couldn’t even tell you how many I own now but it’s way more than I’ll ever need.

Is your 35rem one of Grices?

I read about the Benoits sometime in the early 2000’s. Before that I was using Remington auto’s 742/7400. 

I was in a slump. In 1996 I shot two bucks a six and a spike. I went 9 years without a buck. My area changed but I didn’t. I had to change my hunting style and I though a new gun would help change my luck. 

I heard about Grices and the Special Whelen run. I called them and the whelens were sold out. They offered me a 35 Rem pump and I bought it. A few weeks later they called me back and said a Whelen became available so I bough it and off to the races I went. 

In 2005 I shot the biggest buck I had shot to that point, a perfect 8, and my luck and hunting style changed.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I can’t speak for others but for me it’s not a apocalypse hoarding issue at all. I just shoot a lot, I enjoy shooting and don’t want to be in a position where I can’t. So if we have another long shortage like we all went through years ago I don’t have to change my shooting hobbies. I also shoot enough and have a good storage system so I never have to worry about my ammo getting old.

I know guys that have thousands of rounds stored for for the governmental failure and like you I don’t see ammo ever being the big issue when that happens.

that's fair. I would assume though if it was the apocalypse you wouldn't be shooting for fun though right? giving away your position and all haha

Idk, a few ammo cans, one large tool box full , plus my secret stash . Buy it cheap and stack it deep, I’m immune to ammo shortages , price spikes , gun shop, closings and so forth . I shot on my range today , on our land in Canandaigua, a quick , 100 of ball and a few mags of carry ammo  through a couple 9mm, 10 , OO buck and 5 slugs through the Benelli.

No sheds today either ! 

But the Other Half brewery was open , so I stocked up on that too !

• Like 3

Living in the uncertain times we do and all of the gun and ammo runs we have endured in the last twenty years I would say five boxes of ammo per hunting rifle would be a minimum.

Sounds like a lot but there have been years were say 35 Rem was not available for a whole year. If you dropped your rifle and had catastrophic scope failure and need a new scope that would take a box to get sighted in. Plus what you shot to figure out the scope was broken so that might be another box.

And we all know that we loose ammo. Falls out of pockets, gets lost in the woodS,  left on bumpers of trucks or ATV’s and just misplaced at home. So I’d say 4-5 boxes would be necessary. 

And when it comes to .22’s and birdshot for shotguns you want a decent supply in case kids, grandkids, nephews, nieces, neighbor’s or even buddies come over and you have an impromptu shooting session. Nothing like breaking out a clay bird thrower during a BBQ. Or even air guns.

When we get done turkey hunting at noon we gather in a field and BBQ and shoot clay birds. The nephews love it. 

Boy I hope we are able to be together again this year but somehow I don’t think so.

• 2 months later...

Grabbed 100 rounds of jhp for my 9s, and 600 rounds of ball today . I like to shoot and this run on ammo will continue to the election and beyond I feel , so I’m adding to my supply when I see it .

• Like 1