web site for NY handgun owners- call your senator/assemblyman!

solon

Yeah, its been discussed...  There is nothing you can do now, its all over the net.  It is what it is.  Blame the great state of NY and the NY State troopers for releasing that info.  I can really care less that anyone has that info, I concerned about it at first, however I am over it.  In the grand scheme of things does it really matter?  The only thing you could do is request who requested the complete list.  But then what? 

Some argue that criminals know where to get their guns now....  Some argue that the criminals now know what houses not to rob...

Lets see the cowards address that did this on the interwebs.  One can only pray he breaks into someones house that has a pistol registered in our State.  I'm not upset the list was released, its the fact that this ass is gloating over it.  Please rob my home, I won't mind.  8)   

Lets see how these anti's feel after having their own home, car, person robbed at gun point.  There is a big change of heart after the fact.  I don't understand their motive, why break a honest citizens back when there are bigger fish to fry. 

Legal registered law abiding citizens are NOT THE ONES COMMITTING CRMIES WITH GUNS!

Crooks won't be using the info.  Anti-gun groups will.  That's the problem.  Any way they can use the information to harass, or hassle you, they will.

They'll make a site for Mom's who may want to let their kids play with your's.  If you are on the list, that Mom will tell her kid no.

They'll make a list for employers to look at when they hire someone, or us to see how many employees are on the list.

Insurance companies may find it useful in raising your rates.

Schools may decide your child is a potential threat while in school.

There are all kinds of bad things that could happen if someone has that information and wants to use it in a negative way.

NY handgun owners should get together to file a class action lawsuit against the state for any damages that may arise in the future, as well as getting a judgment to stop this from ever happening again.

What angers me is the anti's know this information has no impact on reducing crime and will only affect law abiding handgun owners.  Yet they get giddy over the abuse they can accomplish with it.

You see, to them, you are a criminal.  They just haven't been able to get a law passed that says you are.

MR VJP - your response is right on.

This may sound extreme but this move by the  anti's is just as bad as terrorists. I contacted my state senator's office Friday and there is a bill pending to make the disclosure of this information illegal - the problem is that only prevents it in the future - for now the data is already out there.

I'm going to call Albany Monday because I think the same law (freedom of information request) that made the information available to the public also has a provision that they government has to disclose who they gave it to. Can't do anything to the person... but with the power of the internet we may be able to make their life a little more miserable...

I'm not happy about the list being out ther but i'm not going to get paranoid over it ............The sky isn't falling !

Right. No reason to freak out about it too much.

I don't know ...... If a little freaking out is what it takes to wake gun owners up a bit and stop them from simply shrugging off every occasion where the antis keep poking us in the eye then maybe a bit of paranoia is not a bad thing. I don't even have a pistol permit, but I still think that those gun-owners who do should not have to be hung out there, vulnerable to potential abuse and harrassment. Why should gun owners be singled out for this kind of listing? Is there something criminal about owning a handgun? Is there something about a handgun owner that requires that the public be warned of his existance and location? Are we now akin to child molesters that need to have their identities published? That certainly is the implications of this public listing and frankly I don't think there is anything about a handgun owner that deserves this special kind of treatment. There just isn't any need for it ...... period. If gun owners get excited enough about this to do something about future abuses of this sort, I certainly am not going to discourage any of that.

Doc

Doc, you arent going to ever get that list back, its already done. If you want to do something about it, then fine, but seriously, there is no reason to start being chicken little.  ;)

And like Ive said before, it gives no real personal info about you. If anyone wanted to know if you had a istol permit, they can get that info fairly easily, even before the list was posted on the internet.

Doc, you arent going to ever get that list back, its already done. If you want to do something about it, then fine, but seriously, there is no reason to start being chicken little.  :)

And like Ive said before, it gives no real personal info about you. If anyone wanted to know if you had a istol permit, they can get that info fairly easily, even before the list was posted on the internet.

Of course the horse is out of the barn now. But then that doesn't mean that we simply pull the doors off the barn. Honestly, I have no idea why you would defend this action. When someone thumps me on the head, I tend to react differently than just sitting there inviting them to do it again.....lol. Or maybe even do it better .....  :;)

Really ...... I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to access that info ..... until now. Now it's real easy isn't it?

As far as personal info, I would guess the fact that I have a pistol might qualify as that. At least it should be.

What really concerns me is just what did this person (or organization) have in mind when they went to all of the trouble of filing the FOI petition to obtain the info and then set up the web-site to display it to the public. I can sit here and imagine all kinds of dastardly uses that some of the wackos of this world might put that info to use for (Some of which MrVJP listed above). But this guy obviously had something a little more concrete in mind.

Doc

Doc, you arent going to ever get that list back, its already done. If you want to do something about it, then fine, but seriously, there is no reason to start being chicken little.  ;)

Of course the horse is out of the barn now. But then that doesn't mean that we simply pull the doors off the barn. Honestly, I have no idea why you would defend this action. When someone thumps me on the head, I tend to react differently than just sitting there inviting them to do it again.....lol. Or maybe even do it better .....  :;)

Really ...... I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to access that info ..... until now. Now it's real easy isn't it?

As far as personal info, I would guess the fact that I have a pistol might qualify as that. At least it should be.

What really concerns me is just what did this person (or organization) have in mind when they went to all of the trouble of filing the FOI petition to obtain the info and then set up the web-site to display it to the public. I can sit here and imagine all kinds of dastardly uses that some of the wackos of this world might put that info to use for (Some of which MrVJP listed above). But this guy obviously had something a little more concrete in mind.

Doc

Who is defending it? I just dont see it being personal info that you own a pistol. There is nothing that anyone can do to you because of it, and if someone chooses to take the time to look through the list and not let their kids play with my kids because I have my pistol permit (which doesnt mean you even own a pistol BTW), then F them, they arent worth my time. Employers can get this info when they do a background check, they dont need to get it from that web site.

On top of it all, alot of you guys have no problem posting pictures and descriptions of your various weapons on websites,pictures of your family and friends, homes and everything else, yet you complain about that list and say its personal info. Do you really think you are anonymous on here? Hell no you arent. If someone needs to get info on who posted what, they can.

If some criminal thinks its a good idea to break into a gun owner's home, then they deserve the bullet they get because they are stupid.

Well, you may invite people to publish lists on your personal possessions and pastimes, I see it as an attempt to harrass with absolutely no redeeming purpose. I also am not going to ignore the potential misuses of this list as outlined by MrVJP. I find it amazing how easily we now accept such intrusions into our personal lives. I guess we are starting to get conditioned to accept it and even defend it as being harmless. I'm not so accepting of that kind of nonsense and will speak out against it whenever given the chance.

Thats fine Doc, Im just saying that you can get a heck of alot more personal info about someone from what they post about themselves on the internet and such. Did you also know that once your garbage hits the curb, its public domain as well? You know what kind of personal info you can get from someone's trash?

Thats fine Doc, Im just saying that you can get a heck of alot more personal info about someone from what they post about themselves on the internet and such. Did you also know that once your garbage hits the curb, its public domain as well? You know what kind of personal info you can get from someone's trash?

LOL.... That's why we have a shredder. And yes, the internet is a major source of privacy invasion. That is a shame, and it also is not something where we should be welcoming or justifying more of it.

It lists a name and a permit # . If I only ever had one handgun and sold it , my name would still be on the list . If I have 20 handguns , no one would know by looking at the list .

No it doesnt, it lists name and address, thats it.

I sit corrected . I corrected my statement just before your post . The number on the list , just before the name has nothing to do with a Permit # . The list numbers are in sequence with names being alphabetically listed .

Anyway , what can an anti-gun or anti-hunter do with the list ?

with your mailing address they can  target us for harrasment.

As far as criminals - it gives them a target if they are looking for handguns- mine is locked in a safe they can't break into, but not everybody has large safes

btw - i filed a freedom of information request with the NYS police this morning to see if I can get the names of people that have filed FOI requests to get the pistol permit lists.

I'm curious to see if they give it to me.

Can't do much with it, other then harass them :O

with your mailing address they can  target us for harrasment.

As far as criminals - it gives them a target if they are looking for handguns- mine is locked in a safe they can't break into, but not everybody has large safes

Harassment through the mail? Really? If you dont want to read it, throw it out.

In this day and age, if you dont have your guns locked in a safe, you are taking a big chance. Personally I like to keep my guns under lock and key in a safe at all times other than when I am using them.

btw - i filed a freedom of information request with the NYS police this morning to see if I can get the names of people that have filed FOI requests to get the pistol permit lists.

I'm curious to see if they give it to me.

Can't do much with it, other then harass them :O

Which would be illegal, so its probably not a good idea. Remember what I said about you are not anonymous on here?  ;)