Scope for 30-06

littlebird13

Not trying to start throwing $hit around,,,but....lol. Every time I see someone post here about "what scope" there is a wide array of members that are dead set against higher power scopes or scopes with large objectives. I am just curious what you see as a draw back to having one. Ok they may be a bit heavier and you could probably get better glass for the same price in a fixed. But mechanically...if money was not a concern....why not have it.

I remember my father saying "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

Culver I don't like the large objective,because to mount the scope you have to use very high rings.Sometimes your cheek is not flush when firing the gun because the scope is so high.I like the look of the 40mm or smaller on most rifles they look nice and sleek.The main reason is the height.For me 40 is fine.

I had a 32mm on My .06 and was able to use the same rings for my 50mm. (had high rings anyway) Big cheek bones and a Monte Carlo stock made that a requirement. I can definitely see where the bigger objective might lift someones face up out of proper shooting form/alignment. Great point

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I definitely don't think anyone needs a scope of over 9X or 10X on a big game hunting rifle. Anything past 200 yards is a LONG shot and I think most people can't make a shot like that even with a more powerful scope. With that said, I can certainly place a shot more precisely with a scope set at 9X compared to it set at 3X. Why do we use binoculars? To have something brought closer to our eyes so that we can see it better. Same with a rifle scope. If the target image is closer, the crosshairs can be placed more precisely. If it were true that one could shoot with a 3X scope as well as with a 10X or more than you wouldn't see expert shooters like snipers, target or varmint shooters with high powered scopes as often as you do. There are good reasons for high powered scopes, but in general I think 9X or 10X is the max needed for big game hunting within the ranges that most people should keep their shots.

Not trying to start throwing $hit around,,,but....lol. Every time I see someone post here about "what scope" there is a wide array of members that are dead set against higher power scopes or scopes with large objectives. I am just curious what you see as a draw back to having one. Ok they may be a bit heavier and you could probably get better glass for the same price in a fixed. But mechanically...if money was not a concern....why not have it.

I remember my father saying "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

Culver, my Friend... That would be mostly ME that you talking about... <<grin>>..

First and foremost, let me stress that some of my bias against large, high magnification scopes is based purely on my personal taste... I think they are YEW- GLEE, especially when placed on an other wise attractive hunting rifle. They ruin the nice, smooth lines of a nice looking rifle. I admit that is only my opinion, and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some guys don't care WHAT thier rifle looks like, as long as it performs well. I personally CARE about how my rifle looks like..Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. Some guys might like to go to dinner in pink leisure suits, but that is not my taste.

Much more important, however, are the physical qualities... Large, high mag scopes are overly bulky and heavy. They ruin the ergonomics of a slick hunting rifle. Ounces count here. I am talking a sporter, here, not a heavy barrel bench or beanfield type gun. They adversely affect the balance. In general, they have less eye relief, especially in the higher powers. Unless they are top end optics, they are generally INFERIOR optically to high quality fixed power scopes.

The large objective requires higher scope rings, which adversely affects the handling of the rifle.

Also, again unless you buy top end optics, there are many more things that can go wrong with variables.

Many times I get sympathetic looks from other hunters when they see my lowly 4x and 6x Leupolds. They wonder why I use such an antiquated optic rather than buying good high power variable, like thier 4-16 Simmons or Barska...<< Sorry..I'm having too much FUN with this>>...hehehehehe...

Oh yeah.. I almost forgot... Speaking of 50 MM objectives.. Sure, they let in more light, but I'm not sure that the larger objective on the Simmons (or whatever) would make up for the superior optics on the Leupold. I do know that they don't make any difference in anywhere NEAR legal shooting light. Have you ever looked through a 4X Leupold a half hour before or after legal shooting time ? You might be surprised at how well you can see.. If you are hunting varmints in full darkness, I would have to concede. I have seldom looked through a scope in full darkness .Most of my after dark hunting was for coons and foxes, and there was a spotlight on the critter when I shot it.

Besides, the high magnification is NOT NECESSARY in the real world of hunting. If you like it, fine, but don't tell me that having a 12 power scope rather than a 4 or 6 power scope is a big advantage for shooting animals the size of deer or larger at normal ranges ( out to 400 yards) is a big advantage, because I KNOW BETTER.

In any case, it doesn't matter to me. Someone asked my opinion and I gave it.

I'll try to be a somewhat LESS crotchety old fart in the future...LOL...

Edited by Pygmy

No Pygmy not you specifically...lol.

I know a lot of it is personal preference but I was wondering if there was anything documented on the actual function side. I know way back the variables had a wrap (deserved or not) that they did not hold zero as well as fixed. It was also claimed that that the POI would change as you dialed up the magnification.

except for any varmit rifles I have / had owned I have really only gone up to 10x and that is a 2.8-10 on my ought 6. everythign else is 2-7 or 3-9....fixed 4 on my Winchester 94. I like the higher magnification. I honestly believe it makes me hold steadier. All the scopes are on lowest setting and if time allows I dial up longer distance or tighter conditions.

I only had two guns growing up to hunt deer with and both were just a brass bead..single shot and an old Eastfield pump. Dad said if I wanted anything better I would have to buy it. My first new gun was an 1100 and I scoped it right away. So really I have never taken a deer with iron sights, always been a bead or scopes.

Now as far as the 50mm lens .. I don't have one any more- It was on a varmit round. I just checked and my 2.8-10 is a 44mm (whick has as good an image as my Leupold VIII 6.5-20x50). I really only hunt with that for big game. kinda like my favorite pair of shoes. Have I ever needed it for light gathering. I guess except for the baited bear trip in the heavy pines....nope. But if it gathers more light (looks aside) it isn't hurting anything? DO I need 10x...probably not...do I need 44mm...almost never. If I don't mind the extra weight and the looks and the extra money to get good lenses, am I mechanically giving up anything with the modern variables? I really am asking and not busting balls here. I have heard alot of folks say they aren't as good just likking for info to use in future decissions.

I hear ya, Culver....

I'm trying to condense my thoughts, not to proove a point, only to let you know how I feel...

As far as how the scope affects the handling of the rifle, small and light is GOOD..Large and heavier is BAD...

Under hunting conditions when taking shots as they come in any position the field, LONGER field of view is BETTER.

QUALITY of manufacture and lenses is PARAMOUNT. It definitely trumps high magnification or the ability to increase magnification.

Objectives larger than 33MM to 36MM do not have a significant advantage over smaller objectives with good optics during legal shooting hours.

4X and 6X is sufficient magnification for big game applications at normal ranges.

Hehehehe..I think that's it....<<grin>>...

• 1 month later...

If you want a good scope with out the cost of a Burris or big name brand the name is Center Point they are very durable and deadly I have them on 4 guns from the 17hmr to my 300 win mag they come in the 4to16 power in 50mm at aroud $70.00 per great deal for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$