Swamp_bucks

Swamp_bucks public adventures

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

grinding it out !  youll get em.  I havent seen a buck in stand yet other than one tiny button buck.  That usually changes soon and all i see is bucks.  Usually small ones but bucks.  

Yep just keep going at it.  Tomorrow I'm going to where I killed my 8 last year opening day if gun.  It's been getting a ton of pressure and they get pushed way back to where I'm going.  Just usually dont get this pressure until gun and this spot hasn't been touched in months.  Told my wife now I remember why I dont pass much because I don't see much.  Lol

what a shit show this morning.

made my way 1.5 miles to the area i wanted to hunt.  well I've only been in there 3 times now in the dark so i missed my tree and had to walk back across the ridge to get to my stand.  once i finally found it i was frustrated with myself for putting down so much ground scent and got my stuff ready and went up the pre hung stand.  got onto the platform(i know I should've been tied off going up) went to put on my safety strap and it wasn't around my chest it was back at my truck.  At this point i was pretty upset with myself so i collected myself went back down the tree and made my way 30 yards down the ridge to where there was a blow down and got myself ready.  At this point its almost 710 I'm pissed that I left my safety strap, soaked from the snow and sweat and felt that the day was a bust.  

730 i decided to do a grunting sequence to maybe draw something in before I froze.  Within 5 minutes i look up and see a big 8 walking across the top of the ridge.  Ears pinned back looking for a fight.  I new the path he was on so i found a hole at 20 yards he had to get to.  As he approaches  I draw my bow he is 3 steps from the hole when he stops.  His nose and tips of his tines are in my shooting lane and then the wind shifts right at him and off he goes. 

Realizing he didn't completely freak I waited 20 minutes and decided to rattle and grunt to see  if I could draw him back.  Within 3 minutes I look up and see the buck i shot coming my way fast with his nose to the ground.  He made it past my shooting lane and continued feeding and moving quick along the ridge.  He was cutting all the doe trails.  He made his way out to about 80 yards and turned it was coming back on the same exact trail.  at one point i thought he had me pinned but he licked his nose and through his head back down.  i went to full draw right before he hit the opening.  I stopped him with a whistle settled the pin and spined him.   I thought he was pushing 25-30 yards so i held like i practiced and he was more like 15 so i hit a little high.  So I rushed up to him and put a second arrow in him.  From first shot to his last breath was under 2 minutes which made me feel better.

My biggest bow buck to date and I couldn't be happier with him.  It took 4 hours to get him out and to the truck and total miles walked was about 5 miles.  I am very glad I made that deer cart because it was a life savor and I would probably still be dragging.  I've hunted this spot 3 times 2 bucks down 6 or 7 6points or bigger spotted.

• Like 2

Am hunt: sat from 6-945 with no luck

Pm: snuck out for a quick hr sit.  Just got setup and I thought I could hear someone talking on the next ridge over.  All of a sudden 5 deer come sneaking out at about 40 yards.  I saw one was a definite doe but couldn't make out the others.  Good to see some.  

Be back out on another piece of stateland tomorrow morning.

No luck today.  I was only out for 2.5 hours.  Did some still hunting/scouting only came across a couple rubs.  Sign doesn't seem to be at the levels of years past in my spots.  Going to another piece of stateland tomorrow that I've seen 3 or 4 does on. 

Side note I have spotted a ton of grouse this year.  Saw 2 more today which puts my total over 20 this year.

• Like 1

Yesterday I saw 1 unknown at 930 then at last light i had a doe getting ran by a buck.  No idea what he was since it was so dark in the pines.

Today:  saw way to many hunters ended up on the outskirts of a huge driving party 20-25 people.  Left there and went back to my opening day spot.   Ended up finding a bunch of fresh rubs and scrapes that werent there yesterday.   

Wont be out until Thursday.  Should be a handful of us doing drives.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:37 PM, Swamp_bucks said:

No luck today.  I was only out for 2.5 hours.  Did some still hunting/scouting only came across a couple rubs.  Sign doesn't seem to be at the levels of years past in my spots.  Going to another piece of stateland tomorrow that I've seen 3 or 4 does on. 

Side note I have spotted a ton of grouse this year.  Saw 2 more today which puts my total over 20 this year.

I saw a few grouse up in wmu 6c during early ML week.   That is what I will be after on Thanksgiving weekend, since I won't have a buck tag.  Hopefully, I will get another chance at a buck (or a doe) up there during the late ML weekend.  I still have both of those tags.

I am going to bring my 16 ga, J. Stevens side by side, choked I/C and mod.  I will bring along mostly 7-1/2's, and maybe a few slugs, in case I run into some bear sign. I did that in 2018, when I was in the same predicament, and I did not see any grouse or bear, only deer.

Congrats to all that scored this morning.  I was close but no shot.  I went back to where I found the big rubs the other day.  Well got on a different rub line.  Instantly new I was on the same deer. Found some massive rubs all on cedar trees.  I could see his walking track so I just took my time. At about 9 I came up on a thicket that the other rub line went into thursday.  I should of stayed out but I went in.  Instantly had that feeling he was there.  Rubs every where and fresh crap so I stopped and grunted.  I waited 10 mins and went another 20 yards.  Found a really fresh rub and crap.  At about that time the wind shifted and I could smell him.  2 seconds later he jumps.  All I see his leg in the brush then he finally realized it was time to leave.  I saw his ass once never made out his rack.  Found his bed my shotgun fit in it. I backed out didn't want to chase him off.  I need snow but it was a fun encounter.   Total 35 rubs, 3 scrapes

20201128_080735.jpg

20201128_105922.jpg

20201128_105908.jpg

16 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

7p stateland 

Just picked up my bow buck from taxidermist.  Hes now up on the wall. 

20201128_131641.jpg

Looks good!