Bear head

biggamefish

Over the weekend hunting camp got a bear and I was the one to finish the bear off. I got to keep the head. That being said I got it home and skinned the head. I am going to boil the head down so I have the skull. First question is when boiling how do you get the brain out? Second question is is there an easy way to get the crap off the skin of the head. I have tanned skins before and I am going to self tan what is left of the skin on the skull. Just wondering if there is an easy way.

Last spring I macerated a bear skull- that is, soaked it in water and let the soft tissues rot off. Just fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, put the skull in and put a top lid on. Place it somewhere warm (at least where it wont freeze). I kept mine in the back shed about 3 months, then scoured it with a heavy brillo. Give it another month or so in a bucket with some strong detergent to get the grease out. I have previously boiled bear skulls, and they tend to shrink a bit. You still have alot of hard scrubbing to do. I found the macerating easier and did a better job. The teeth will all fall out though, so be careful to strain the gross water as you pour it out, or pull the teeth out when they come loose. Just use a little Elmers to glue them back in with.

What is maceRation?

these guys just love using technical terms which they damn well know you havent heard of or you wouldnt be asking about what to do with a skull. they want you to reply and ask as you did just so they can go " oh this is the process in which, yadi, yadi, yada". makes em sound real smart instead of just saying that taxiderms have flesh eating beetles which they put in a tank with yer skull for a week or two and they do all the work.
  • Like 1

these guys just love using technical terms which they damn well know you havent heard of or you wouldnt be asking about what to do with a skull. they want you to reply and ask as you did just so they can go " oh this is the process in which, yadi, yadi, yada". makes em sound real smart instead of just saying that taxiderms have flesh eating beetles which they put in a tank with yer skull for a week or two and they do all the work.

Lol, if your sitting in front of a computer like I am, all you have to do is type it into google. Also, the beetle technique and maceration are totally different.

Sorry I will make it very slow and simple for you, ROT the meat off with the use of water, hence MACERATION. You are on the computer look it up there are all kinds of videos about it. But I will tell you it stinks not bad, but really really bad!!!!!

Over the weekend hunting camp got a bear and I was the one to finish the bear off. I got to keep the head. That being said I got it home and skinned the head. I am going to boil the head down so I have the skull. First question is when boiling how do you get the brain out? Second question is is there an easy way to get the crap off the skin of the head. I have tanned skins before and I am going to self tan what is left of the skin on the skull. Just wondering if there is an easy way.

The finisher gets the whole animal, according to the hunters ed class. But when I recently took the bow class, they said the first leathal shot takes the animal.

the beetles are a pain, you have to constantly feed them, they have to stay at a certain temp. If they get out of contanier they will be every wheres. In your house etc. Unless you are planning on doing a lot of skulls you are better off not getting beetles.

The skulls stink because a lot of people throw the entire thing in there without taking most of the meat off. The object is to take most of the meat off so it can be consumed within about 5-7 days before the meat starts spoiling and rotting.

Joe