Deer movement advice on a large clear cut

Late to the parrty but i would if possible place these trees like you build a wall, and create pinch points the deer have to go through if they wanna get to the "other side" .. If its a good spot where the wind may be in their favor, and they have good access routes, and location is good.. it could turn into some bedding cover.. deer love side cover when bedding. You can always cut let it be for a few weeks and check to see how the deer are using it.. then make a plan.. but if moving brush, I would try to use it to funnel wildlife to where you want them to be.. a brush pile here and there is great for bunnies and small game.. 

Thanks. I'm doing that to some extent. What you can't see in the last little cut are the brush piles to the left and far right which I hope will push them through the blackberry and into the clearing on the way down the ridge and to the water source. 

The first larger cut in retrospect just has too many downed trees to deal with. I did the best I could but it still looks like a tornado hit it. 

Just ID'd another spot on top of my ridge where a few trails intersect. There are some black cherries up there, so I may release those and put up another stand. That's it for tree stands.

Then I have another area at the bottom of the ridge where I'm putting in a ground blind. Good spot, lots of travel up and down.

• 10 months later...
5 hours ago, left field said:

Updating this. After a week or more of clearing that hill last year to encourage new growth (and animals), I came across this recently.

IMG_5154.thumb.JPG.4a3575da47ddba992e94574255bbc24d.JPG

IMG_5155.thumb.JPG.8e5d8b5cb4973c144959b3a3a63c3358.JPG

It was worth the back-breaking work.

I have hen nesting in. The aspen I dropped over winter as well as grouse, new root sprouts have started and the additional light reaches far into the small woodlot where cherry, maple and oak seedlings have emerged in what was a bare leaf litter see thru woods..  the sign and sighting of all game has increased 10x in that 10 acre piece.. to most it looks like a mess till you point out all that is new.. bonus is the 12 lbs of oyster mushrooms my friend and I picked last sunday off the aspen and I expect they will spread to all the new dead aspen I created as well. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, left field said:

I was a little surprised as it seems pretty exposed, but I guess she knows what she's doing.

Go back in a few weeks/month and check on the eggs to see if they get eaten or hatched. It does seem a bit open to me as well. 

11 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Great to see those 10 Turkey eggs. Hope they all Hatch.

Those are grouse, Bill.

I am concerned that she abandoned them. I first saw them a few weeks ago when I spooked her, but she wasn't there the other day when I passed nearby and took the pic. I think it's a 28 day incubation and we're close.