Trepassers...thoughts on a situation

Steve7

Quite a pickle! As a landowner/deer hunter, there are few things I hate more than trespassers and/or poacher and I have had similar situations over the past 21 years. The way it looks to me is this guy just screwed you over not only by trespassing and shooting that buck, but also by ending your season by making you take a deer you had already decided did not meet the standards you set for yourself. To make matters worse is every time you look at that rack you will no doubt think about it all over again.

If I'm not mistaken, it is illegal for someone to not tell you or show you their back tag when asked. That alone is a violation. With his license plate number in hand, and a physical description of this guy, I would have forced the police to question and pursue him to the fullest extent of the law. It should have been easy for the police or DEC to ticket this guy.

The police would ask a few simple questions... 1) Your license plate and vehicle was recorded being parked at ______ rd. I assume you parked it there or had you reported it stolen?

2) Can you tell me why you left your car there? Were you hunting? 3) Now that it's confirmed you were hunting, unless you can show me the state land or written permission of private land, you were trespassing and we have a witness.

Sad to say this type of guy WILL return unless you paint him in a corner. Do not let him win and stop hunting. You'll need the support of the land owner to pursue the charges and most DEC/Police will not act on your behalf because they need the actual land owner requesting the ticket.

Tough situation that you find yourself in. Only advice i can give is to others that come across trespassers. No mercy, No excuses, Every time, call the troopers and the DEC. Let the guy give all his excuses to them, and let them settle the matter. Because you didn't do that, you put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation and even worse, you now have your family right in the middle of it . Confronting someone may be the manly, tough thing to do but i bet your wife isn't very impressed at this moment..

You were right thats for sure.

However,the bad guys,losers whatever often know the system and they know how it works. The first to call the cops is the VICTIM,remember that and do it. If he calls and I know times they have you will be explaining things.

Now sit down, he will lie when he calls and turn it on you, after all you left and did not report anything he did. I'm speaking in general terms now not this incident.

Everything needs to be documented you don't want the bad guy to be the one doing it...... guys

Guy comes to my house he's asked to leave once,twice, 911 all they'll do is have him leave but its on record .

Edited by Larry302

You guys are too nice!! I woukld have shot him!! :-)

My thoughts exactly... You shoot in my direction while trespassing on my property. Hmm I feel my life is in danger and I resort to deadly force. My thoughts are that would equal a good hunt, I got a nice buck and and a unique vermin to mount.

Too funny SG...update on this. I asked some of my neighbors if they noticed his truck... I find out that this guy rides the roads checking fields for deer and has been seen before. This deer was in my field and I watched him feed then bed for almost 40 minutes from around 3:00 on. No doubt the guy saw the rack from the road, pulled over and parked at a house that is for sale that the prior owners had left. The DEC have been notified and are looking for this guy. As NY Hillbilly stated... I was forced to tag out on this deer but really didn't want this s*um bag to take it.

Suill.... would've done the same thing if someone had taken a deer that I put a bad shot on. I would've actually given the guy the deer if he approached me differently instead of getting in my face all aggressive and stuff. He was in the wrong and tried to spin it like I did something wrong because he shot first. Just a wierd season for me for sure.