Trigger Adjustment on a Remington 700 .308

I've messed around with the ammo quite a bit. I've had the gun for for 3 years now, and I've put probably 3 or 4 hundred rounds through it. It likes the Winchester X 150 grains the best. It despises the Hornady's for some reason. I shoot decent groups when I rest my left hand, but unless I'm concentrating on holding the barrel really firm with my left, the high poundage and long pull on the trigger (yes I know to squeeze not jerk) moves it down and right. I shoot much better with a light trigger. I need to test it, but I think it's at least 6 lbs, probably closer to 8.

I've also heard that the 700s respond really well to hand loaded rounds, anybody have experience with this?

To address the OPs question....The Rem 700 is adjustable, but after monkeying with a couple of them (considering I am not real mechanical) I decided to have a gunsmith adjust the HORRID trigger pull on my 700 Mountain rifle, which he did for about 35 bucks...It is SWEET now..Light and crisp, with no creep.

My CZ 550 came with very easy to understand, precise directions on how to adjust the trigger. I did it myself, and it is also SWEET...

Considering the discussion of the Ruger Scout.. No offense to anyone who likes it. I realize that tastes differ..Some guys like freaky looking chicks with metal hanging all over thier faces, heads, and other places. I prefer the "girl next door" type.

..I can't imagine the utility of that awkward detachable mag sticking out the bottom.

It is as ugly as a side order of s***t....

Well I think we've properly crapped on the gunsite scout! So does anybody know a reliable gunsmith in the Albany area? I'll get it done after the season sometime, but I'm curious to hear some recommendations.

I don't know of too many real deal gunsmiths down this way, I used one up off of exit 18 of the Northway last year I was very happy with the work and price. Might be way to far for you though?

Here is the place just in case.

Mac Gregor's Gun Shop

1180 Glens Falls Mountain Road, Lake Luzerne, NY 12846-2004

(518) 761-6864 ()

Edited by Doewhacker

I don't know of too many real deal gunsmiths down this way, I used one up off of exit 18 of the Northway last year I was very happy with the work and price. Might be way to far for you though?

Here is the place just in case.

Mac Gregor's Gun Shop

1180 Glens Falls Mountain Road, Lake Luzerne, NY 12846-2004

(518) 761-6864 ()

Exit 18? isn't that the Northway exit for Canada?..lol

Exit 18? isn't that the Northway exit for Canada?..lol

haha, no not quite. This place is about 20 minutes from my house, up a steep mountain. The guy cut and re-threaded a shotgun barrell for me last year on the cheap. Came out perfect. He had alot of guns in there waiting to be worked on or cleaned after deer season.

I adjusted my 700's trigger this year. Google'd up directions & found them to be similar to the instructions to adjust my 541T. Funny thing is the 541T was advertised to be adjustable so why not the 700? Anyway don't try to set it too light & do the tests to ensure it's functioning properly.

My 700 has the X-Mark trigger, and is advertized as adjustable.

How often have you used your 308? With each gun I bought, I've always been all over the place but after a bunch of rounds through them, my groups have gotten tighter and tighter. I don't know if it is because I've gotten better or the guns have been broken in. I have read that some people believe gun do need some breaking in even if it's not a new gun because the gun could have been using a different ammo before and now has to break into this new ammo. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I just know I'm shooting much better than I was shooting last year.

Guns do need to be broken in, especially rifles, and there is a process to doing it properly. Heres what I basically do...

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/barrel-break-in.html