Trigger Adjustment on a Remington 700 .308

my 700 "didn't have an adjustable trigger" but it does. The adjusting screws on mine had that sealant over them, i guess to discourage their use. I wouldn't try it unless you are comfortable with what you are doing. On my 700 one screw set the travel and the other set the trigger weight. I wan't to caution you that if you over adjust the travel that thing will not be safe. the only way you will know is to drop out the trigger assembly. It should be very visible if it is adjustable

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Probably the best thing to do is to take it to a good gunsmith. For safety sake most of all. Doesn't cost too much to get a trigger adjusted. I did it on my M700 about 10 years ago and it was the best $40 I ever spent. Day and night difference to what it was originally.

Not an unlikely outcome! I should probably measure my finger travel sometime.

the best thing they will do for you at a gunsmith is actuall polish the pats so the travel is consistent and smooth. I did it at my friends house who's father is REALLY into guns and he happened to be an old dentist. his old dental ezuipment he used in his gun restoring hobby. he polished the parts with the same bits he polished porcelin caps and the thing is like a dream . I think sometimes the poundage of the pull isn't the issue but a gunsmith will be able to take care of all of it for you

I did some internet searching, and theres a few people around who say Remington's been putting in their triggers in with alot of poundage, and alot of travel lately for law suit prevention. And also been using cheaper parts.

I was just going to say that. And it's not just Remmington, there are a lot of manufacturers out there making guns with really stiff triggers. The only gun I have bought recently that wasn't bad was my Marlin 336W 30-30, nice light and crisp pull. My Bushmaster M4A3 and my Benelli SuperNova have horrid trigger pulls, both around about 8 pounds. :(

I did some internet searching, and theres a few people around who say Remington's been putting in their triggers in with alot of poundage, and alot of travel lately for law suit prevention. And also been using cheaper parts.

You beat me to the punch. Remington had to deal with all the claim that their Model 700's would inadvertently rifle on it's own. True or not, this prompted Remington to come up with the new X-Mark trigger and set the poundage higher. Even when reducing the poundage, you can only go so low. I think the lowest you can go is 3 lbs. My 700 was my first high-power rifle and I just figured that's the way it is. I then bought a Savage Model 12 that has a pound and a half pull. I haven't adjusted my trigger on the 700 yet because I figure I've been going to the range with the way it is now and don't want to tamper with it until after the season is over. Then I'll have it adjusted by a gunsmith.

I can compensate for the "right pull" by holding her real tight with my left hand, but it goes against everything I've been taught about shooting, and I hate it.

Also Elmo, in that other topic about Dick's you spoke of the Ruger Scout. Drool factor 9/10.

I'm regretting the 700 purchase a little bit after my buddy this year got a Weatherby 308 sub MoA with a VX-2 scope all set up for under 800 bucks. Makes my heart throb when I look at it.

I can compensate for the "right pull" by holding her real tight with my left hand, but it goes against everything I've been taught about shooting, and I hate it.

Also Elmo, in that other topic about Dick's you spoke of the Ruger Scout. Drool factor 9/10.

I'm regretting the 700 purchase a little bit after my buddy this year got a Weatherby 308 sub MoA with a VX-2 scope all set up for under 800 bucks. Makes my heart throb when I look at it.

When I was buying my rifle, I was initially going to get the Ruger Gunsite Scout as my deer gun and the Remington 700 VTR as my coyote gun. At the time, the Gunsite Scout was selling like hot cakes and every where I turned it was sold out. I ended up getting the 700 VTR as my deer gun because I have absolutely no patience when it comes to buying stuff and I then bought the Savage Model 12 as my coyote gun.

As stated in my in my Dick's thread, he went there to get the Gunsite Scout and they didn't have it. He ended up ordering it through ImpactGuns.com for around $750. It should arrive at the FFL early next week. I'll let you know how it goes because you know I'm going to play with it. :D

When I was buying my rifle, I was initially going to get the Ruger Gunsite Scout as my deer gun and the Remington 700 VTR as my coyote gun. At the time, the Gunsite Scout was selling like hot cakes and every where I turned it was sold out. I ended up getting the 700 VTR as my deer gun because I have absolutely no patience when it comes to buying stuff and I then bought the Savage Model 12 as my coyote gun.

As stated in my in my Dick's thread, he went there to get the Gunsite Scout and they didn't have it. He ended up ordering it through ImpactGuns.com for around $750. It should arrive at the FFL early next week. I'll let you know how it goes because you know I'm going to play with it. :D

#1) Heck yeah, let me know how it is. I'm particularly curious about those aperture sights for brush.

#2) I was going to get a Marlin XL7 for my deer gun because Schohaire went rifle the year before, but I saw the 700 with a Vx-2 already on it for under 600$, very very slightly used and couldn't pass it up.

OK guys, we are taking this off topic, but please tell me what makes this a deer rifle or a coyote rifle??

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Maybe the flash suppressor?? The bulky detachable clip? LOL I guess grenade launcher attachments will be standard equipment on deer rifles in a year or two?

I guess I'm prejudiced because the designer of the original scout rifle, Jeff Cooper, kept talking about it in every other paragraph of his non-stop rants. He made it out to be the best thing since sliced-bread, yet I have NEVER seen a hunter carrying one in all my years. Honestly, I see nothing in it an ordinary short barrelled bolt-action can do just the same without all the glitz. To have the scope mounted so far in front of your face is as useless as anything can be on any big game rifle, most especially a deer rifle. Worthless design, that few people will give you anything but chump change for if you ever want to sell it.

I have heard (ala F&S) that the trigger is mushy on the scout. And for the money they are asking for it, I'll concede your point Steve. I guess the light weight? As a dude carrying around 240 lbs, plus usually 20 lbs of gear, an extra lb or two is un-noticeable.

I like the idea of the ring sight in the back, it was more of a very intrigued drool factor.

Don't want to take this Remington 700 trigger discussion into Ruger Gunsite discussion but I'll just say that his reasoning is the size (overall length), weight, and the most imporant factor looks. He hunts but he likes shooting more than hunting. He needed to get a "deer" gun because the current one he's been using is custom built Mk13 sniper rifle but using .308 instead of .300 win mag. 26" barrel. Thing weights a ton.

It's all your fault, Elmo, for telling us your brother and you like the gun. LOL

Did you ever read Jeff Cooper's books and blog? He was a know-it-all extraordinaire!! Constantly talked about his Scout rifle like he had diarrhea. One main reason I would never buy it. Other than him and a few other gun writers who were kissing up to him, I have never seen anyone hunt with one.

I'll tell you what I did shoot, (and loved) was a bushmaster 450 this past weekend. The dude had put alot of time into it, trigger was perfect. Was making cans dance like at 100 yards. Well, it was making them dance once or twice before they disintegrated. But I was definitely not pleased with my groups at 100 with my 308. Thought it was just me until I picked up that thumper and started destroying things. Kick wasn't that bad either, but I could feel the entire rifle compact on itself each time I shot.

But I was definitely not pleased with my groups at 100 with my 308.

How often have you used your 308? With each gun I bought, I've always been all over the place but after a bunch of rounds through them, my groups have gotten tighter and tighter. I don't know if it is because I've gotten better or the guns have been broken in. I have read that some people believe gun do need some breaking in even if it's not a new gun because the gun could have been using a different ammo before and now has to break into this new ammo. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I just know I'm shooting much better than I was shooting last year.