Whats up with this?

SteveNY

So my cousin tells me to come down the hill last weekend to check something out. Right next to his house are all these chunks of fur/hair. I am certain it's deer hair, but have no idea why it's there like that. I have seen this before in the woods a few times, but was never really sure why.

He says his shepherd was barking like crazy the night before. There is no blood, no drag marks, not even sign of track in the wet soil. We walked around for a while looking for a carcass, but found nothing and no sign.

Anyone ever see this before? What do you think?

post-1556-0-47948700-1323366027_thumb.jp

post-1556-0-45950100-1323366045_thumb.jp

post-1556-0-50157100-1323366036_thumb.jp

I've see it a few times before.

Usually a predator (coyote most likely) of some sort gnoshing on a leg that's been separated from the body. It probably carried it into the area and then ran off with it.

My guess is a front leg based on the color...it's got some dark brisket-like hair and also some lower chest/underbelly.

Edited by phade

with you finger on it it is definitely deer hair. I gott say the yote comment was probably right. That would also explain the dog going bonkers

The pics with the thumb in them IS DEER HAIR, but ISN'T the same tuft of fur posted by the OP. I took those two pics to illustrate what a tuft of deer fur looks like...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

The original pics are a bit far away so it is a little hard to be comfortable with a definitive answer.

It is not possum. I suppose it could be from two boar coons fighting, and their hair can be coarse in some spots, but that'd be a ton of guard hair for them to lose and the undercoat color is a bit off (although there is a good amount of variation in individuals).

I still say deer for now unless we can get closer pics.

I really have no doubt that the fur is off a deer, that's not why I posted this.

The fur is too thick and coarse for a coon. Any coon I ever shot didnt have thick, hard, coarse hair. Nor have I seen coons with pure white hair or gray hair with brown tips.

This fur in the pics I posted even smelled like deer.

I don't have any other pics either...

Edited by SteveNY