Warm breathable hunting jacket

I have a camo heavy hunting jacket with plenty of pockets . I wear an oversize blaze orange vest over it for safety . I wear an initial polyester shirt with a polyester thermal shirt over hat and then a Under Armor fleece 1/4 zip over that .

I stay pretty dry when walking / stalking . The problem I have is the jacket doesn't breath and the lining gets damp / wet which kinda defeats the use of the polyester moisture wicking of the layers . Any suggestion for a jacket that will stay dry ?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question for you: Does that blaze orange vest that you wear over everything breathe?? Maybe the change to a new super-breathable vest would solve your problem.

I am assuming you are trying to be funny . The Blaze Orange vest is a thin sleeveless article of clothing that doesn't add a bit of warmth or retain moisture .

I just received my new Habit hunting jacket and pants from Cabala's...I have light weight and extreme weight camo but not a mid weight that is water and wind proof...the Jacket was marked down to 24.99(90.00) and pants 39.00(110.00) ...with silver tech and it's very quiet....I wore it today when going down to take care of the chickens...dragging a 100#'s of food on a tarp150 yrds....felt just comfortable in 44 degrees.with light nylon work out pants and shirt...the jacket has a fleece lining...

Try the Under Armour line, the jackets can get pricey but if you shop around you can usually find one on sale. I have the Armour loft jacket that I wear with their base layer underneath. Plenty of warmth when stalking, wicks moisture well, and kept me dry.

Lets start with your base layer it stinks,under armor,polyester and fleece.They are not letting moisture escape.A number us found under armor smells after a days use.Look into Helley Hanson or Cabalas, Polyproplyne under garments.It does not seem to hold moisture as the others.Actually the best is{according to hunters out west,is a mesh type.Outer Layer I prefer 100% Wool,Not reprocessed wool,quiet does not absorbe water,that fast.When I hunted from tree stands I wore my Predetor brand,with the wind brake liner(pricey) but warm and quiet,with many options.As said above your Vest could be the problem also.

Breathable is a misnomer - I hate seeing it used in hunting garment descriptions. Either you are blocking the wind and/or rain...or not. You really are not going to get both qualities in one jacket - regardless of what advertising writers spout.

Merino wool alone or over a better wicking base layer...every UA piece, even cold gear, has performed lousy for me. Soaks up the moisture but never dries and almost always seems to stay cold. I've had some good luck with X-scent and the Cabela's house brands.

You may want to consider a thin fleece mid layer, walk to the stand with that on, and then put on the jacket at the site. Avoiding sweating will help in that department.

Edited by phade

In that case, everything seems to be doing it's job. The underlayers wick from the skin, to your mids, and then to the jacket.

It shouldn't be causing that much of an issue. The moisture is being pulled away from your skin and to the outer layer...which is proper. You are not going to get it to evaporate through three-four layers with the outer being heavy and of non-wicking design. You are not going to get an outer jacket that will stay dry if moisture is wicked from underneath...it's simply not going to happen.

If you are simply unsatisfied with the jacket, then you may want to either walk with it off to the site, or go buy a new one. Sounds like you are getting moisture from exertion after the fact (saying it works while walking/stalking...but not when sitting?)...ie work up the heart rate right to the point of sweating. Cabela's in-house brands are real nice. I also had luck with the Gander house brand when on sale (not a value when full price). Just understand that NO jacket will stay dry when the layers underneath are wicking moisture from your body.