range time

bubba

Thanks I did enjoy. I met a coule buddies there. I shot my 10/22 my 54 renegade 45 encore bergara barrel and my new encore 7-08 barrel. First range trip with the renegade,45 and 7-08. Overall I was pleased.

101_0220.jpg

my 54 renegade 4 shots first two top an adjustment on the tang peep site at 50 yards. 90 grains of goex ffg black powder

patched round balls rws caps tang peep site

101_0219.jpg

45 encore bergara barrel 100 grains blackhorn 209 knight high pressure sabots 10mm 180 grain hornady xtp cci standard 209 primers nokon 3x9x40 buckmasters scope. 50 yards first two shots.

I did not drag out the chrono today as it was cold and my first time out. I am thinking I am going to buy a pack of harvestor to try. The prepackaged t/c sabots and 10 mm bullets loaded way too easy. I am so far happy with the knights

What Harvesters are you going to try out?

I love the Scorpion funnel points in my Wolf. It's not their "long-range" offering but the Wolf is usually my brush/short range (100 yds or less) mz. The Scorpion PT models seem like they'll really reach out there.

The funnel points also load easier that anything I've tried, probably rivaling the Powerbelts (which suck hunting wise).

I plan just go et harvestor sabots and shoot 100 180 grain xtp's in them.

Ahh, their product catalog shows they sell the XTPs with their sabots. The funnel points seem similar in design.

Curious, why such a light XTP? Better performance or just preference?

This is my first 45 barrel. I guess since a 50 cal round ball is 177 grains and very effective, I was thinking lighter faster and more whack. Most guys I have talked to use either the 180 or 200 grain range in a 45. I also have some mmp sabots for 38 158 grainers. I find them I think a little light. That being said I am guessing I am pushing that 180 grain bullet out of the ml with 100 grains of blackhorn at probably 2500 to 2100 fps. I shoot a 115 grain bullet out of my 25-06 at 2700 fps and it is very effective.

Makes sense. I remember reading an article one time that the 45 should have been the major caliber of choice to modern muzzleloading but that it never took because of poor product selection. I think the author went on to spout the superior performance from a hunting perspective but I forget the details.

Probably similar to the modern trend of 20 vs. 12 gauge.

I would say your analogy is pretty much correct. The major thing I liked was 100 grains of bh 209 had very little recoil. The hype is flatter trajectory less recoil and longer distances. The longer distances do not matter to me as I am always under 100 yards. The les srecoil was a big bonus though.