How do you hunt the wind?

nybuckboy

5 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I try to hunt crosswinds alot.  However hunting very hilly areas it doesn't really matter I try to setup so most of my scent blows into areas I least expect deer to show use thermals on low wind days.  However opening day of gun last year i had deer show up from every single direction none busted me so it's a crap shoot some times.  

I think it is a crap shoot every time,i just try to do my best,same as you.

I noticed some growing at home in WNY last weekend.  I am heading up to the Adirondacks Friday for early ML week thru opening weekend of gun.  I think I will pick a few pods to put in my pack.  Sometimes the wind gets swirling in those mountains.

There's a ton on Herr Rd, the west side in the big field between houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 10/11/2020 at 2:56 PM, biggamefish said:

Throw in some thermals with the wind and then the fun really begins. Things can seem one way then 20 minutes alter its the complete opposite.  The fun of the hill towns!!!

Hunting the hills and ridges like you and I do (and many others) can be very tricky with the thermals and terrain irregularities. You could sit a spot, and within a couple hours have the breeze and thermals blow from every conceivable direction! Some of our spots along oak ridge benches are like this. And the only way to hunt them is when there is a stiff NW wind. Which when sitting in that spot becomes a predominant SE wind where I'm set up. This is all the more important hunting with a bow. And if the wind changes to where you expect the deer to come from, it's time to move, and not tip them off to your presence. Challenging? Yes. But the rewards can be BIG.

• Like 2

I just listen to the weather report and plan for opposite of what they say!
And while we are on the abject of stupid weather-persons....why does a NW wind actually mean it is traveling South East!!!
I have not had great success with the HuntStand wind “cone” - might be the ridges and hilla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just listen to the weather report and plan for opposite of what they say!
And while we are on the abject of stupid weather-persons....why does a NW wind actually mean it is traveling South East!!!
I have not had great success with the HuntStand wind “cone” - might be the ridges and hilla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad I'm not the only one in regards to the wind direction nonsense

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

unless you’re high up, the Only thing that’s predictable in mountains and hills, is thermals. A lot of places you can set a clock to when they kick in, practically down to the minute. What’s worked for me in the past, is stay out and  away from your stand until the switch happens, then Quietly move into it.

Having good access, is key, because a lot of times the deer are on their feet already and if you’re in the right spot, nearby. I’ve notice around my area, this time of year, the evening thermals start pulling down hill around 5:30 pm, so It makes for quick hunt.