Secondary rut

Swamp_bucks

So last night when I went to start my truck for work.  I walked into a full blown rut craze.  At one point had 2 8s run a doe right down my driveway 10yards from me.  I watched those 3 stop and over the hill in my woods(only an acre) i could here even more running around.  The 2 8s I saw were grunting and atleast 1 more over the hill.

I've never seen rutting this hard this late.  So for you seasoned hunters on here.  Can the second big rut wave be more intense than the first?  Is there a better chance to draw in more big bucks because the little ones are worn out by now?  

I ask because my opening day spot from my door is maybe 400 -500 yards away. So those deer can very easily reach it.  This is the closest I can get to hunting this area.  Granted I cant get out till this weekend but I wonder if I should try one more time there.

Thoughts?

Edited by Swamp_bucks

I think what you witnessed was just a doe in heat with a bunch of bucks after her at the same time, which happens quite a bit in the wild and you were lucky to have the action in your yard at the time. And it seemed more intense because fewer does are in heat now, and she drew a crowd. Once she's bred and out of heat, or runs over the hill trying to get away from all the bucks chasing her, it will go back to quite. A doe will stay in heat for a day or two, so by the time you get out there things will be over, unless another hot doe shows up.  The good news is that does can come into heat anytime out there during the season, you just need a little luck to have it happen around your stand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, genesee_mohican said:

I think what you witnessed was just a doe in heat with a bunch of bucks after her at the same time, which happens quite a bit in the wild and you were lucky to have the action in your yard at the time. And it seemed more intense because fewer does are in heat now, and she drew a crowd. Once she's bred and out of heat, or runs over the hill trying to get away from all the bucks chasing her, it will go back to quite. A doe will stay in heat for a day or two, so by the time you get out there things will be over, unless another hot doe shows up.  The good news is that does can come into heat anytime out there during the season, you just need a little luck to have it happen around your stand.

I've seen it before during early november.  Just never witnessed it be that intense this late or realize it gets that way this time of year.  I realize they continue to cycle a couple times so they will still look for them. Theres not a ton of bucks in my area so not used to seeing it like that.  Either way it was a cool encounter. 

• Like 1

I had a similar experience last year except it was the second to last day of the late muzzleloader season (Dec 18-ish, I think).  Unfortunately I didn't realize what was going on until AFTER I shot and dropped the hot doe.  I had 4 bucks literally doing circles around her body for over an hour before I felt safe to climb down and start "the work."  It was intense and rare to witness those events that late; early november is one thing, late december is rare.