DIY Swirling

Has anyone tried Swirling? No I didn't say "Swinging. Lol!

I was thinking of buying the Camo Dipping kits online to camo some of my hunting equipment but I don't want to spend too much money on the kits. I found this on Youtube where it was originated for putting swirling designs on guitars. Then I found videos of people swirling their bows. Seems pretty cheap and easy to do. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I was thinking of doing the stock on my Rem 710 using that method with camo-ish colors. Problem is if the water temp is not just right or there is not enough borax, the colors will sink to the bottom. I think I'm going to try it first with some items I would not be too P.O'd if they don't come out to well.

I was thinking of doing the stock on my Rem 710 using that method with camo-ish colors. Problem is if the water temp is not just right or there is not enough borax, the colors will sink to the bottom. I think I'm going to try it first with some items I would not be too P.O'd if they don't come out to well.

Yea, start with something you don't mind being a guinea pig, for sure

Well I made it to Michaels crafts yesterday and picked up oil based enamel hobby paint by Testors. They were $1.99 per .25oz. The colors I selected were glossy black, glossy brown, glossy green and glossy wood. I had some borax from my last fantail mount so I decided to give swirling a try.

FIrst you really have to get the temperature just right 78-80 degs. I mixed 3 tablespoons of borax into 2 gallons of water using a basic bucket I bought at Home Depot for $5. You need to mix the borax really well. I actually took a small jar filled with the same water in the bucket and mixed in the borax. I mixed the borax well and then added it to the bucket. Then I stirred the water even more. Once the water stops moving from the stirring I started by adding the darkest color - black- first. Few drops of black in different areas of the water surface. Then I added a few drops of the the brown, green and finally the wood colors. Using a wire hanger I "swirled" the colors slowly until I got it to the design I wanted.

I decided to jump right in and swirl my Iphone 4 bow mount. I figured if it didn't come out right I could always just paint over it with flat black spray paint. I attached another wire hanger to the mount's hole. Slowly and carefully I started dipping the mount into the colors moving it ever so gently side to side. Once it was completely submerged I used a hair dryer to move the remaining paint off the surface and away from the mount. The video showed them using newspapers but I didn't have any. I lifted the mount once the surface was free of color and dried it by shaking it and then using the hair dryer and

Viola!!! . . .

Needless to say I'm quite pleased!!! :D

082d8d5f.jpg

6ca5c838.jpg

• Like 1

I also picked up some Rustoleum Camouflage utra flat spray cans. Comes in 4 colors. Picked up 3 different colors for $12. Planning on trying it this spring on my Rem 710.

Don't think the spray enamel will work. I think you would need to dilute it with some water first. The whole idea with swirling is slowly dripping the colors on the waters surface.