2 Bottom Plow users

3 hours ago, Wildcat said:

For those that use a 2 bottom plow, what are you pulling it with?

I have a 30hp New Holland tractor and wondering if I will have any issues.

Thanks in advance for the help/insight..

You should have no issues , usual rule of thumb is 10 to 15 hp on drawbar per bottom.12 in. To 16 in  . so. You should have more than enough make sure to set it up right to make 1st furrow and then readjust so wheel follows in furrow and plow is level by adjusting you 3pt arm or possibly the plow itself if it has off set pin adjustment. 

Edited by G-Man

There is more to it than just hp.  Weight/distribution and tire type are important.  Weighted R1 (ag) tires are best.  An equal weight 4wd tractor with R4 (industrial) tires will perform about the same on a plow as a 2wd tractor with R1 tires.   

What type tires do you have, and do you have 4wd ?   If you have R4's and 4wd , you should be ok with a 2 x 12" plow, but might struggle with a 2 x 16" in some soil conditions.

Most of the time for food plots, I pull a 2 x 12" plow with a 28 hp, 2wd tractor with loaded, R1 tires.  As long as the mud holes are few and far between, that combination works great.

On some wet springs, in put my 43 hp, 4wd tractor on that little plow. It easily pulls it thru standing water without any wheel slip.  It is cool watching the wakes roll off the bottoms in the low spots.

That tractor lacks hydraulic draft control however, which makes it a lot easier to maintain uniform plow depth, so I always use the smaller 2wd (has draft control) if it is dry enough.  

4wd is not a huge benefit on a 3-point plow (like it is on a disk), because that plow is designed to get most of its "pull" from the tractor's rear axle.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1