Never Turkey hunted before ?s

luberhill

Just now, luberhill said:

So I know a spot they roost in the fall.. but I went there tonight and didn’t hear anything

I did my owl call and some clucks ..

So how do I find where they roost 

Fall spots are not same as spring,, listening dont use a turkey call at all, try a hawk scream , or loud crow calls, even a elk bugle.  Had one time that use to answer a horse whinny from across the street.  

Put boots on ground fresh droppings in pile under roost trees, can see drag Mark's on logging roads,tracks in mud and visual observation.  East facing slopes are prefered especially if fairly steep.  You may find melted feathers in areas of roost trees as well.  

You may need several differnt locator calls , a silent dog whistle works as well ,I have more locator calls including sever different owl shooters, almost more than turkey calls I carry.. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Near Auburn NY

Well, I'm in northern Columbia County in Old Chatham.   If your willing, I'll take you out on opening day, but your about  4 hrs out. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

Well, I'm in northern Columbia County in Old Chatham.   If your willing, I'll take you out on opening day, but your about  4 hrs out. 

Wow ! Nice offer and I appreciate it,,

Let me see where I am work wise ..

Such a kind offer 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Wow ! Nice offer and I appreciate it,,

Let me see where I am work wise ..

Such a kind offer 

I get more enjoyment from helping new hunters, then shooting the biggest tom I've ever seen.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Biggest mistake most newbies do is overcall. Best way to really learn the game is be out there alot. Start mid April and just sit on the edge of a pasture or right in the middle of the woods at sun up. Do this in different locations a couple times a week, just listen, don't call. When May 1st rolls around you'll have a pretty good idea of where you'll wanna be. If you consistently hear them in a particular area you might wanna throw up a blind day or two before and do what they call Dumb Hunt. That's where you nestle in before light and try and bring them to you with limited calling.

Edited by Gobbler Chaser

I like starting off Dumb Hunting and will move along after a couple hrs for what's called Run and Gun hunting. You stand and listen, all Ears and when you hear one move his way and give a few yelps and see if he responds and if your closing the distance. When he's responding and within a few hundred yards plop down by a tree and don't move and continue with soft yelps as long as he's talking. You have to be kind of a slut for lack of better words. Best thing is get out there and you'll learn the game better than anyone can teach you. Go on to UTube and learn and practice your calling, mostly yelps, putts and clucks. Find a place where you won't annoy people and practice your calling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

I like starting off Dumb Hunting and will move along after a couple hrs for what's called Run and Gun hunting. You stand and listen, all Ears and when you hear one move his way and give a few yelps and see if he responds and if your closing the distance. When he's responding and within a few hundred yards plop down by a tree and don't move and continue with soft yelps as long as he's talking. You have to be kind of a slut for lack of better words. Best thing is get out there and you'll learn the game better than anyone can teach you. Go on to UTube and learn and practice your calling, mostly yelps, putts and clucks. Find a place where you won't annoy people and practice your calling.

Thats how I hunt, and if I cant strike up a bird I go home lol. I cant sit and wait in the hopes one wanders in I just dont have the patience

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

practice your calling, mostly yelps, putts and clucks. Find a place where you won't annoy people and practice your calling.

Putts? One call you definitely don't want to use unless you don't like seeing turkeys.  

All good advice above.  Usually if you drive around and see them in fields during the day you can be sure they will be nearby in the woods.  Here's some advice that I have posted in other places that should be helpful in your quest.

Have shot dozens over the years; however, I'm not into it these days. Advice to getting a turkey - obviously most important - go where you know they're around, either where you've seen them in fields or heard them in the woods.
If you can find a field where the farmer is regularly spreading manure - that's a turkey hot spot.
If you hunt a field, set back about 5 yards into the brush, next to a tree, something to cover movement; put some brush in front of you or camo netting.
If you're hunting in the woods, make sure you cover your movement and stay still; again, the use of camo netting or brush around you will help immensely.
Box call is easiest to master, just get the cadence of the calling sequence down by practicing a little, it's not that hard.
Make sure you're comfortable, bring some snacks and water; in case you have to sit a few hours it's all good; a turkey lounger or type of low slung lawn chair helps immensely.
I used a cheap foam hen decoy that I set about 15 yards away from me, stuff a black plastic bag inside the cavity to keep the body fuller.

If you call and hear a turkey respond, hopefully it will come in right away. If it doesn't; just be patient and call every 15 minutes or so. Somewhere in the little pea brain of that turkey, it will remember where your call came from and it will eventually wander over to check it out; it may take over a few hours for it to come in, but it will.

Here's where the being comfortable and limiting your movement comes into play, since you may have to wait a few hours, being in a turkey lounger and behind camo netting will keep you hidden until the turkey surprises you by popping out somewhere close to you.

I got many turkeys at first light, however, just as many between 10 and noon after waiting out a turkey that I heard earlier and taking brief naps and relaxing waiting for the turkey to show up.

Contrary to any magazine articles you read that suggest turkeys are geniuses(which is laughable to think about, let alone to write about) I will tell you they are stupid, and if a nice gobbler is around, you should be able to get it. The only thing that will mess you up is if another hunter is wandering around close to you in your area. Hopefully, this will not be the case. In any case be very careful, and best of luck to anyone who ventures out in May; hopefully the above advice from my experiences will help you.

• Like 4