#11 caps don't always fire

2012_taco

I am trying to get a turkey with my White 12 ga blackpowder shotgun. But as I was sighting it in I was having a problem with the gun firing on the first try. I could re cock it and it would fire on the 2nd try same cap.  I did notice that the caps go on the nipple hard. Am I not seating the caps properly or is there something I'm missing or doing wrong? It's been a long time since I had a gun that uses #11 caps so these caps are old but that shouldn't make them hard to place on the nipple I don't think? It's frustrating as I don't want to blow a chance at a turkey with a miss fire only to have it fire with a second try. I know the turkeys won't wait for me to cock the gun and try again! Lol

Ant ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Another white user very nice 

What powder are you using, to me its one of two things   possibly a stronger spring might be needed or it could be that the nipple is too fat. The solution is to slim down the nipple with a sharp file or replace the entire nipple-breechplug with a new one, same as used on all White rifles. 

You could email or call Doc, I have his number if you need it PM me . I've called him plenty of times 

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

Another white user very nice 

What powder are you using, to me its one of two things   possibly a stronger spring might be needed or it could be that the nipple is too fat. The solution is to slim down the nipple with a sharp file or replace the entire nipple-breechplug with a new one, same as used on all White rifles. 

You could email or call Doc, I have his number if you need it PM me . I've called him plenty of times 

I Googled it and I can try different caps, cci might fit better. Or file the  nipple to make them fit better.  I think I can do the filing? We'll see!  Thanks 

Years ago I had that experience with my hawken repro- went to cci caps, which as stated earlier seem to be a little bigger and never had the problem again.  Also as previously suggested a lttile filing should also easily resolve the problem

• Like 1

Yesterday I took a file to the nipple and the caps now slide on much easier, not too easy that they will slip off but, I think this will do the trick. we'll see, I probably won't get a chance to try it out until this Saturday. Wish me luck! And thanks for the help, as always

Edited by 2012_taco
added text.
  • Like 1