Two different types of black walnut?

mowin

Client has lots of BW trees. There's only one that's a much lighter green than the rest, and the nuts are similar, but the outside texture is smoother on the darker green tree. Lighter tree and nut is on the right in both pics. 

IMG_20210811_110557949.jpg

IMG_20210811_110750902.jpg

Edited by mowin

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'd believe so. I was almost going to say black walnut and butternut but the nut looks too round for that. 

The post a week ago mentioned butternut was fuzzy, not smooth like this one is? 

• Like 1

So if the smooth ones are English walnuts, my client only has one black walnut tree and around 8 English walnuts. 

I'm wondering if that's why I never see a squirrel touch these things? Maybe the English walnuts are not so tasty? That and he's got several hickory to keep the tree rats busy.

1 hour ago, mowin said:

So if the smooth ones are English walnuts, my client only has one black walnut tree and around 8 English walnuts. 

I'm wondering if that's why I never see a squirrel touch these things? Maybe the English walnuts are not so tasty? That and he's got several hickory to keep the tree rats busy.

I believe the English walnuts are what you would typically get if you bought walnuts at the store. Black walnuts taste great but much stronger flavor. 

• Like 1