Backyard Clover & Chicory Plot

Moved into my house last December and wanted to do something to attract deer and turkeys into the backyard to watch. I had no equipment to work the soil, so in the spring, I decided to just broadcast Whitetail Institute Fusion (Clover & Chicory) seed, hoping it would grow well enough. I did a soil test and broadcast fertilizer. I later ended up adding Whitetail Institute Edge (mix of clover, chicory, alfalfa, and several other seeds) for more variety for the critters. I mow it every 2 weeks, as high as my lawn tractor will cut (~4"), and it bounces right back with a vengeance! I've certainly gotten my moneys worth out of it already, considering I only have a couple bags of seed and a bag of fertilizer into it!!

It's really exceeded my expectations as far as growth and the deer and turkeys love it too! I watched a doe feeding in it the other night and when she picked her head up, she had clover stems draping out of all sides of her mouth! I have turkeys that spend several hours every day out feeding in the clover, bugging, preening, and just lounging in the shade! There's 4-5 rabbits that we see as well! Really relaxing and enjoyable watching the critters! I also planted 4 late bearing apple trees along the edge of the yard and plan to add 6 or so late bearing crab apple trees next spring. #countrylife!!! B)

AA6399F8-6AF6-4BC0-8D50-EE28CE3698F0.jpg

20-D8-D225-326-D-4-E01-BDBB-BA71-B87968-

EB6D05D9-5E2A-49BB-AD07-5084AD2145DD.jpg

4FE41C44-A27F-4B57-A9B1-F097906A18FB.jpg

7524E299-D9E0-4EC7-ABE5-7627CEB4609C.jpg

084ED9F4-EB30-4E9E-86B1-127D358BBB2F.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...