Summer sausage

2012_taco

I would think over ground possibly or too much fat. 225° is a good temp internal temp 165°+ is safe. I dont know much about liverwurst but you could read a little about it and see what the major differences are jn the process to avoid it. 155 is a little danger zone I would hate to see you get sick, not sure if smoking it again would do anything negative. Good luck ?

I think 225 is too high for a summer sausage. Internal to 165 is fine but getting there at a really low rate of heat is the challenge (and frustration!!!) when dealing with inconsistent heat of smokers. I found myself tossing chucks of ice in the water pan and not fully sealing the smoker doors to stay below 190 to not quickly melt my cheese or fat. when I did my sausage on Saturday. I sacrificed some smoke flavor to keep the heat right.
Do you have a pic of it sliced Taco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I think 225 is too high for a summer sausage. Internal to 165 is fine but getting there at a really low rate of heat is the challenge (and frustration!!!) when dealing with inconsistent heat of smokers. I found myself tossing chucks of ice in the water pan and not fully sealing the smoker doors to stay below 190 to not quickly melt my cheese or fat. when I did my sausage on Saturday. I sacrificed some smoke flavor to keep the heat right.

Makes sense. This kinda makes me want to start grinding!!!

I would think you need to get the internal temp to mid 160/170 for the larger summer sausage over a longer period of time…225 is pretty high. Not sure how it could be corrected at this point ..sorry

Yea 225 is a little high but not much 200 would have been better,

And you are correct there is no way to correct at this point

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

No pic of it sliced. I will take a pic when I cut into the next sausage.

Edited by 2012_taco
added text.

20 hours ago, Trial153 said:

If it came out the consistency liverwurst then you over mixed it till the fat emulsified. That happens because your temps are too high while you mix it.

I wore insulated gloves when I mixed the batch, and I was trying my best to make sure it was cold. Not sure what else I can do to keep it cold? 

I wore insulated gloves when I mixed the batch, and I was trying my best to make sure it was cold. Not sure what else I can do to keep it cold? 

The only thing I know is that when I mix sausage it gets so cold that it hurts up to my elbows!!! I don’t have a meat mixer but always wish I did when I feel that pain!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

what makes sausage "summer"? 

From what I've read, It was called summer sausage because of the way it's cured it can be kept for days without being refrigerated. Although I don't know anyone who wouldn't keep it in the fridge until ready to eat. 

1 minute ago, 2012_taco said:

From what I've read, It was called summer sausage because of the way it's cured it can be kept for days without being refrigerated. Although I don't know anyone who wouldn't keep it in the fridge until ready to eat. 

Got it, thanks.

The flavor is not bad, I thought the fresh jalapeños would give it more of a kick? Next time I will add more jalapeños and use a smoke tube so I can smoke it at a lower temp. 

20220119_113305.thumb.jpg.81ee0fc52ba9053ef1f5f429974c26e9.jpg

Nice smoke ring there…doesn’t look as “mushy” as I was envisioning I from your description. I imagine that “veining”’is where the fat melted away but you still have a bunch of the cheddar in there.

• Like 1

The flavor is not bad, I thought the fresh jalapeños would give it more of a kick? Next time I will add more jalapeños and use a smoke tube so I can smoke it at a lower temp. 

20220119_113305.thumb.jpg.81ee0fc52ba9053ef1f5f429974c26e9.jpg

So, I agree with crappy.. you may try smaller pieces of fat or emulsifying the fat better.

As far as heat I tell people use a Serrano instead of the jalapeños or in addition too you will get better heat.

Also did you do high temp cheese or regular cheese ?

19 hours ago, Chef said:

So, I agree with crappy.. you may try smaller pieces of fat or emulsifying the fat better.

As far as heat I tell people use a Serrano instead of the jalapeños or in addition too you will get better heat.

Also did you do high temp cheese or regular cheese ?

High temp cheese. Serrano peppers? never heard of them?

Just now, Chef said:

https://www.sausagemaker.com/hi-temp-cheese-s/1931.htm

It is cheese that has a much lower fat content so it doesn’t melt.

A Serrano pepper you can find at wegmans it’s just a smaller hotter jalapeño

That should have read, yes high temp cheese.  I'll look into the Serrano peppers. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thought I would post an update on the summer sausage.  I did get a smoke tube and now I can smoke it at the right temps, sausage came out great! Went with dried jalapeños and seasoning from the Sausage Maker. This is my new favorite sausage!  That said now I'm thinking how would this be as a cheddar link to cook on the grill? I think I'll try putting it in natural casings and light smoke it then grill it. Any suggestions or experience making smoked cheddar links?

Thanks

16516718767305851121079874486612.jpg

• Like 2

Thought I would post an update on the summer sausage.  I did get a smoke tube and now I can smoke it at the right temps, sausage came out great! Went with dried jalapeños and seasoning from the Sausage Maker. This is my new favorite sausage!  That said now I'm thinking how would this be as a cheddar link to cook on the grill? I think I'll try putting it in natural casings and light smoke it then grill it. Any suggestions or experience making smoked cheddar links?
Thanks
16516718767305851121079874486612.thumb.jpg.f0fa1214a5dcfb65a3a6f05740752d89.jpg
That looks great!

Just made some this early spring. I made smoked apple and cheddar and also tuscan vodka with roasted red peppers. Best sausage I've made yet.

Added a little more fat for cooking in the smoker and it came out great. I used all ground pork and added 1lb of ground bacon to 12lbs of ground pork. I mixed 50/50 smoked sausage spices and apple sausage spices from the Amish. Then added in a lb high temp cheddar.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

59f50547dbc403b31ada0153c871e56c.jpg
f9110968252f921ee3f7da711cb93227.jpg021d5527de20319f21c9a0072d1be954.jpg
  • Like 2