Traditional Muzzleloading

Robby

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I am a PA hunter and flintlock season is by far my favorite.  I just begun the search for a camp around 4W.  I like the large plots of state land, fishing opportunities, proximity to my primary residence and skiing.  I hope to close on something by spring.  

• Like 1

Don't need anymore challenges?  The whole idea is more challenges!

I bought two more sidelocks this month, sure didn't need em, but what the heck.

I hunted a muzzleloader season this year for the first time in ages. I swore them off because of all the walmart warriors I was running into.  Did all my muzzleloader hunting during the regular gun season after that. But I took advantage of the "holiday hunt" this year and had a glorious time. Beautiful conditions.  Hunted with my non-PC New Englander the whole time. Flintlock only came out for a quick photo. 

spacer.png

Edited by cas
  • Like 2

Guns wise, my interest is only in the traditional (or quasi) ones. Unfortunately I'm at the point where my eyes no longer agree with that. So while I can still shoot my traditional sighted guns at the range, with good light and/or glasses, it doesn't really work well in the woods. The reason I didn't take a small buck this season, last few legal minutes of shooting time, I just didn't feel confident in what I could see of the front sight to take the shot.

One of the rifles I just bought is a Pedersoli Tryon, but someone had already put a tang sight and a fiber optic on it, so I could buy it without feeling bad about defiling the rifle. :D  Still up in the air what to do with it It's a mid twist .50, but I bought it intending to have it re-bored to a slow round ball .58 (really wanted .62 but I don't think there's enough barrel). Of course I know I need to shoot it as is first before I do anything, it might be amazing as is and it wouldn't be right to change it without knowing first.

Of course a bolt action rifle I ordered in the fall finally cam in, so the muzzle loaders kind of got put on hold. lol

• Like 1

I hear ya cas, I have passed on shots for the very same reason. I have taken electrical tape, burned a pin hole in it and stuck it on my classes where the hole lines up with my sights. It really crisps things up a lot, still difficult in low light but doable when the stars align. 

Three years ago I got my biggest buck ever.

IMG_0081.thumb.jpeg.c996b4367d5995000f5252ce4e048659.jpeg

I was pretty happy, but I took it with a modern gun, only the second one in over sixty years, So I did feel a little bad cuz my muzzleloaders were warm at home.

Glad to still be able to enjoy the outdoors though, that hasn't changed!

• Like 1