bear kills hiker in NJ

Catskill Hunter

They were in the heat of the moment but they did so many things wrong. Ran-kick in the predator instinct. Separated- should have stayed together s a large group and made as much noise as possible. make yourself look as big as possible. unzip you jacket and hold it open to the sides.

Terrible outcome.

• Like 1

Wow.  These young guys probably had very little outdoor experience.  Edison, NJ is a suburban area where most residents would never imagine even seeing a bear, no less having to deal with one.

They really were out of their element.  But it is very surprising to hear a bear actually killed someone in NJ.  Most times they don't run from people, but they very seldom attack them.

What's worst of all is if you scroll all the down to the bottom of the article and read the crazy posts from people.  There are multiple whackos saying the guy deserved it and they should have left the bear alone.   

Crazy people out there

Feel bad for the hiker's family.  I am sure that the rest of the group is a bit shaken up.

I think perhaps they should post on the information boards on what to do during a bear encounter for those who don't know what to do.  That may help some one else.

Try telling NYer's to carry bear or pepper spray.  Last posting I saw regarding those products was that they are illegal in NY.

I think we found our solution to get Cuomo out of office.  Send his supporters out to meet the bears with the same protection that he plans to restrict everyone down to, a small pen-blade pocket knife and a bow if it is hunting season.

They get two options:

• visit bear prone area with just a pen-blade for protection
  • vote for a new governor that will remove the "un-Safe" act laws and cares about all NYers, not just NYC residents

OK....I just can't take it anymore...you guys are freaking killing me. You know what caused this death? and I know for certain!!!!!

He was the slowest out of the 5.

come on....how many have been thinking it all day? be honest.

Obesity strikes again.  Shouldn't have had that second cupcake.

• Like 1

OK....I just can't take it anymore...you guys are freaking killing me. You know what caused this death? and I know for certain!!!!!

He was the slowest out of the 5.

come on....how many have been thinking it all day? be honest.

You got that right as the saying goes"I only have to be faster than you".

Still, "first recorded bear attack". I am a numbers guy. I don't see cause for concern with bears. In terms of personal safety, probably the last thing on my mind in the woods.

And good one culvercreek!

STILL, I would much rather HAVE a gun and not need it, than NEED a gun and not have it..

That happened to me many years ago, and involved two legged animals rather than four legged..

After that, I vowed never to be in that situation again, if I could help it..