Asking For Help

DirtTime

I keep up with the laws and regs for NY.

I am heading into the NZ tomorrow morning for a hunt. Private land ( finally! ). After finishing up the details with my buddy, he asks me, "Can you kill a doe here with your bow?". I said not as far as I know, why? He replied, "My father thinks you can. You can take them here with a muzzle loader. Why not a bow?", I still replied that I think bow is still an antlered deer having to have at least one 3" horn.

I may be off here, but in the NZ for NY, isn't a bow it treated like a firearm as far as killing a doe? Hence, you have to follow the same regs.

I just spent an hour looking this up on the DEC site.

This is the regs:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28605.html

I find nothing that says I can take a doe with my bow in 5J.

Am I wrong, or am I missing something here?

If you had come up here during archery season you could have taken a doe with the either sex tag or antlerless deer only tag. But now that rifle is open all you can take is a buck with 3" or more of antler.. I assume you can take a doe with bow using a dmp tag(not positive on this being that I haven't seen a dmp issued in my zone for a while)

• Like 1

Thanks.........

As per a call to DEC, I was informed, just as I though, there are no areas in 5 where taking a doe is legal except with a ML. No bow, not even in the early season. But hey, he may have lied to me.

:telephone:

I believe they misinformed you....bow tag is either sex muzzle tag is antlerless

Edit....i may call another different dec location and see what they say?

Edited by stoneam2006