Pushing sabots through..

wooly

I decided to pull the breach plug and push the last round I loaded through instead of firing the gun after my last hunt.

I got the barrel cleaned good and proceeded to reload in advance of my next hunt using the same sabot and bullet I had pushed through initially.

When I set the round on the end of the muzzle and applied the slightest pressure to the ramrod, the load slid effortlessly down the barrel like a stripper on a greasy pole all the way to where it bottomed out on the charge.

I'm not going to take this load to the woods now not knowing how it'll shoot, but I am wondering what kind of crazy inaccuracy I'll get from this shot just so I know in the future for whatever reasons.

Any of you guys ever try the same and want to fill me in how this story ends in advance?

• Like 1

50 cal.Hornady SST 250gr

I'm not sure if any difference will show up on paper at my 50yd range.

I was more concerned with what nyslowhand mentioned about the loose seal.

It went down so easy, I almost expected it to slide out when I pointed the barrel at the ground and gave it a shake.

I never have seen that issue, the rifling would have to engage in the same exact spot. Maybe the oils from cleaning, possible different sabot... We're they pre packaged sst or bought bullet and sabot separate. I think if pre packaged they are mmp sabots . Maybe mmp hph Ez 3p but I can not be 100% sure on that one.

Edited by sbuff

Pre-packed box of 20.

I was just curious.

Been shooting them for a few years now, but I usually just go with a new plastic jacket when I push one through and throw the old one away.

Then I started piling up a bunch of actual projectiles, but now running short on jackets. This is the first time I've ever re-loaded the whole shot twice.

I'll see what happens tomorrow. I'm guessing I wont notice anything on paper, but maybe velocity will be affected which I'll have no way of recording.

Enough input, here's the real "kicker". You've been sitting in a blind/tree for hours, even days or weeks and when the opportunity presents itself on a good deer.....Do you have faith in what you're using?? By no means am I a spend thrift, but I will not reuse sabots or mechanical BHs. At least where I hunt, these encounters are not that common and I'd prefer not to use one as a learning experience. Doesn't Hornady sell bulk pkgs of just the plastic jackets?

I hear ya .

It's been snowing here all day and I've been locked down in the house letting my imagination get the best of me.

I've got about 300 rounds here, so I really don't need to experiment, but I see no harm finding out what happens on paper.

Even if I don't notice any difference in POI, I'd still load a fresh un used round before ever hitting the woods to hunt with. I'm not the kind of guy to take chances like that on living creatures I intend to kill with one shot. :nono:

Mmp makes sabots for Hornady. Google it and give Del a call.

Just did.

I honestly never realized I had options, but that's probably because I've never had an issue with them being loaded the first time.

For $9 a bag of 50, I'll grab a bag of the standard replacements I've been using, and I'll pick up a bag od the HPH to mess around with in the off season just for kicks.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll get this round sent down the range today and then get a fresh load down the barrel before I hit the woods again.

Edited by wooly

I always throw them out and start with new one.........if something goes wrong with your next shot you'll be questioning the decision to use the old sabot for a long time, not worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Just a thought, but think the more appropriate word would be; regretting.

Edited by nyslowhand