Climber stand mods

stoneam2006

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/29305-for-all-you-climber-stand-hunterssummit-add-onspic-heavy/

Here is a link to the thread I made, showing the things I did to my Summit.  Its pushing 25 pounds...35 pounds if I pack the Sherpa game cart vs. carrying by hand.  Weight is always an issue, unless you go with a Summit open shot or a Lone wolf basic climber, your pretty much going to be at the 20-25 pound mark from my own experience with 2 previous climbers ive used.

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/29305-for-all-you-climber-stand-hunterssummit-add-onspic-heavy/

Here is a link to the thread I made, showing the things I did to my Summit. Its pushing 25 pounds...35 pounds if I pack the Sherpa game cart vs. carrying by hand. Weight is always an issue, unless you go with a Summit open shot or a Lone wolf basic climber, your pretty much going to be at the 20-25 pound mark from my own experience with 2 previous climbers ive used.

Awsome idea....another question....has anybody made it so they can get up smaller Dia trees....seems I can only climb up 15 plus Dia trees and I'd like to get a Lil more outta it in some logged woods I hunt

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I believe it's a old summit....has cable for around tree...with a single loop at each end of cable that the clip goes thru in chosen hole...I was in about a 12 in tree and was maxed in...and still couldn't get as high as I wanted I'll post pic of it

I am a huge lover of the open shot summit.  Only down fall in the no collapsible frame.  I really want a lone wolf climber but don't have the money.  

I put foam on my base platform where I stand it not only quieted down the stand but it keeps my feet warmer.  Big plus.  I am trying to find an old frame pack to get a hip belt for carrying.  I swithched out my straps to the claw straps and that made a big difference too.

• Like 2

I am a huge lover of the open shot summit. Only down fall in the no collapsible frame. I really want a lone wolf climber but don't have the money.

I put foam on my base platform where I stand it not only quieted down the stand but it keeps my feet warmer. Big plus. I am trying to find an old frame pack to get a hip belt for carrying. I swithched out my straps to the claw straps and that made a big difference too.

i sold my lone wolf when I got the open shot. In my opinion it's a PITA getting a lone wolf setup, worse when it's freezing out

• 2 weeks later...

I am a huge lover of the open shot summit. Only down fall in the no collapsible frame. I really want a lone wolf climber but don't have the money.

I put foam on my base platform where I stand it not only quieted down the stand but it keeps my feet warmer. Big plus. I am trying to find an old frame pack to get a hip belt for carrying. I swithched out my straps to the claw straps and that made a big difference too.

ill post a picture of the seat on my Open Shot to,see what you think. I got tired of hat big block of foam always pushing through the frame

Honestly no idea but works pretty good...like my api bow hunter open front better but this is quite nice

My climber is almost the exact same. It's a field and Stream from Dick's. I'm not a hug fan. It's bulky and awkward to set up. It's very comfortable once you're in the tree, but holy cow is it a pain to get up there.

• Like 1

I have Summits, which are pretty light for their size. I like to silence my stands as much as possible. I cushion the arm rests and floor so there is no noise if I tap it with my release, bow etc…I use neoprene strips that I cut from an old pair of chest waders. Hot glue gun them in place then wrap with a little electrical tape. Ugly but effective.

• Like 1

Now that I have been using it its not to bad...getting faster for sure it is heavy and I'm still waiting on molle straps to help haven't gotten yet but moved the staps around and made a Lil better to carry...the neoprene is a good idea also may have to do that

I'd like to see this as well. Did you make it lighter by changing the seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its not lighter but it's not as bulky and that big cushion was always pushing through the frame. Also it's cover didn't last long

The seat came off of my turkey vest

b35e7780c49c070dec5a6e6df785b4b1.jpg2e2d77b968480ddaebc00dcb8f34b9e3.jpg

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Like 1

I saw a commercial for that spray seal stuff and they have it in green now. I wonder if it would stick to a summit stand? I'd think it would be good traction and also quiet down that tubular aluminum noise

i'd worry anything other than that industrial grit tape wouldn't stick or would peel and eventually make a bigger hazard. As far as noise, i don think there's much to do to improve it. Summit knows i'ts a big deal and if they could make it quieter i believe they would.

Have had my open shot for about 6 yrs now n that thing is comfy as hell with the foot rest n that fat seat !!!! I'd buy another in a heart beat but x-stands has come out with a similar hand climber model or a sit and climb that you can flip the bar out of the way once set making it like the open shot once up ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk