Kayak Questions for duck hunting and fishing

Jvilla

Good Afternoon,

I am interested in purchasing a kayak for duck hunting and fishing.  I am 5'8 235 (the old term would be 'husky'!) In decent shape, but could loose a quick 30-

I have 2 questions:

1.  What type of kayak do you recommend from experiences  mostly river, ponds, inlet tributaries etc.  No open water stuff

2.  Best way to transport a kayak with a pickup with a cap.

Ive been doing a lot of research on the internet, but Im looking for local opinions.

Thanks, and have a Great Day!

John

Fishing from a traditional kayak can be a lot of fun, but it's definitely a challenge. You're so low on the water that there is almost no visibility when it comes to submerged casting targets likes stumps, brush, or weed edges. A sit-on-top type of kayak would seem the best for fishing...but at the same time, twisting around and touching off a 12 Ga while duck hunting from that sit-on-top boat might end up with you swimming. Could be a bad day.

I used to build kayaks and canoes, but I haven't kept up with the industry over the last 15 years. Maybe there's a good compromise out there now. If not, I'd go for a short and wide canoe with a seat at gunwhale level for fishing, and put a cushion right on the bottom to keep my butt dry when duck hunting. It'll be a nightmare in open water, but that's not where you plan on going.

As far as transport: pretty boats, racing boats, and anything over 16' went on top into custom-made carriers, everything else was strapped into the 8' bed of the pickup with the tailgate down.

I hope this helps a little, and I'd like to hear more about what you find.

We have used both kayaks and a canoe for duck hunting. But we don't usually sit inside them, use them instead to get ourselves and our gear to a spot on shore and then set up in makeshift blinds on or just off shore. We cover the kayak or canoe with burlap camo to hide them. We recently spray can camoed the canoe, so it is easier to hide and it holds a lot more gear, and me. (A little taller and heavier than you :-)

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4002650

Here is the kayak I use. Dicks Sporting Goods has them on sale right now, great price. It has a dihedral hull and from experience, it is super stable. It has pole holders and even comes with a little tackle box (as seen in the pics) that straps in right in front of you which is very convenient. As stated above, you sit pretty low in a 'yak but I have had great luck fishing out of it. It was welllllll worth the money in my opinion, and I have never had any desire to own one. Last spring my buddy bought this kayak and talked me into buying one too....so glad I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenco Outfitters north of kinston on Rt 28. Great Kayak place. Will be having a sale in couple weeks. May be pricy but lots to chose from. They have the ones you stand up in and fish from them. Look them up. Good luck

http://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

I use an Open Canadain aka a canoe , Old Town Discovery 169.

If you're going to go kayak for hunting and fishing, look at the above link , that's they are made for . You can stand , and even walk in them, lots of room for gear and they track very well.

I've canoed 100's of miles of Rapids from the Yukon , British Columbia to local rivers and lakes. There is nothing worse then using a canoe or kayak that's made for one kind of use for another . Want to hunt and fish, buy one made for that .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1