Topographic map's

Dom

Thank's upstate was a little help.I am looking for more detaled map the one from dec was just general location.I may need to get from town hall land owner can no longer walk to show the boundry's.

play around on Google earth too Dom. it wont show contours but the timeline can give multi season views. The property I hunt at hom actually shows the deer trails in the fields. there is an elevation functino to show the elevations of where your cursor is. It is a great scouting tool and probably would work best with a topo map.

When I'm hunting a new area I search the area on Google maps. I then find a online tax map and find the parcel I hope to hunt. I print out both sheets and simply cut out the tax map boundary and trace it on the Google airplane view to see exactly where the boundaries are. The hardest part is getting both maps the exact size as to not make the actual boundaries bigger or smaller...gives you a rough idea.

• Like 1

Gmap4 can show you very high resolution topo maps for anywhere in NY using the familiar Google map interface. You can flip back and forth between the topo and aerial. Here is a random spot in NY:

http://www.mappingsu...22055&t=t4&z=15

OK, full disclosure time. I'm the developer of Gmap4 which is showing you the topo maps. The homepage has a FAQ and examples to quickly get you up to speed.

To find your property, try using the Menu ==> Search feature. You can search on addresses, many placenames and most reasonable ways to write a latitude longitude (WGS84 datum).

Want to show your GPS data on the topo map? Sure, you can do that with Gmap4. Want to click the map and save your work as a GPX file? Yup, you can do that and more. Check out the features under the Menu button.

This project is part of my way of 'paying it forward'. Translation: Gmap4 is free for non-commercial use.

Note: In some areas the high res "t4 topo high" maps use yellow instead of green to indicate forest. If that is a problem try switching to the medium resolution "t2 MyTopo" maps.

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsu...om/p/gmap4.html

Enjoy!

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Dom, the interactive mapper is capable of different layers, one of which being topo mapping. Play around with it, its what I use to put together aerial maps.

That being said, there are others out there that you can use, and send them the areas you need and they will print and laminate the map for you in different sizes.

Heres one...

http://www.mapcard.com/

Map Card is a good tool and I used to have a subscription to use it.

The Map Card software is owned by the MyTopo Company.

The topo maps that you see with Map Card are medium resolution scans and are the exact same maps that Gmap4 displays if you click the button in the very upper right corner of the map and select "t2 MyTopo" from the dropdown menu.

When software (like Gmap4) displays the topo maps from the MyTopo company then we are also required to display their ads.

Thank's every one this is what I was looking for.Now the work begin's only 4 month's to get ready for the season and that is going by very fast.The old barrdering system still work's.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's to all.I am amazed by all the info that i have found by useing these suggested site's,I have located more land that i thaught the land owner said he had.I now have about 400 acre's.It should be a great season going out this week to walk and get a feel for the prop.To my knowledge no one else hunt's this land but wont know untill the seaeson start's.