Hunters Feeding The hungry

wztirem

Isnydes, if you are against "the thrill of the kill", you surely shouldn't give the AR supporters any more credit than anyone else.  A good many of them will try to fill every tag they have also.  They may pass up the bucks, but if they fill the tags with does instead they are still reducing the deer numbers just like those who hunt for meat only.  I will have way more respect for those that fill their tags and DO eat the meat themselves  I honestly think anyone who hunts and doesn't like or eat the venison is hunting for the "thrill of the kill" only.  What else are they hunting for then??  To donate the meat to the poor? That is just an excuse for them to get that "thrill of the kill" and nothing more.  If I want to help the poor I will help them in other ways.  Venison donation won't be a way that I will help them.  I will bet a good many poor people don't want anything to do with venison either, so what's the point?  I will hunt for what I need only, and this way I know that I won't be using any excuses to kill more than I need just for that "thrill of the kill"!

If you say you hunt just so you can eat the meat, you are full of it. If you are hunting just for the thrill of the kill, you have problems. If you cant accept that some people enjoy hunting for reasons other than what you enjoy it for, you are ignorant.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with donating meat, or filling all of your tags. NY sold you those tags to use for a reason. Good lord, can you guys get any more ridiculous with your self righteousness?  ::)

You obviously hunt for other reasons. So be it . Your choice.

I do not shoot more deer than my family eats (2) whether you believe it or not. If I get 2 deer I am done for the season. Hopefully that happens during archery season. I put away the deer clothes and wait for the gun season to end and then small game hunt.

I do get my DMP and do shoot does.

No, I am not ignorant, I don't hunt for the thrill of the kill. Reread the article slowly.

I have seen deer in the woods with just the hind quarters gone. That is sporting right!!

Why do you hunt? You say you are the WNY Buck Hunter not Deer Hunter. So you don't shoot does???

Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for only killing exactly what you will eat and then stopping, I dont care, but when you start calling people unethical for killing deer or using up tags and donating meat (which IS what you are doing), then dont be so surprised when someone says you sound ignorant. I never mentioned my reasons for hunting, now did I? Jump to conclusions much?

Again, NY sold you the tags for you to use them, partly for population control, which is why they hand out a certain number of DMPs each year.

Oh, and I guess you didnt look down below my screen name before you started in with the weak attempted screen name insult.  :)

I'm not patting myself on the back. I never asked you to cared about my hunting choices. I don't really care what you think.

Just don't ever complain that there is a shortage of deer in your area. Shoot em up!

I do believe in trying an AR program for my own reasons. In seeing the survey results I am not alone. HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Hi BKLN,

It is a program for Antler Restriction buck hunting. Penna. has it. It basically is not shooting yearling or 1 1/2 year old bucks ( buttons, spikes or 4 pts.) You must see 3 pts. on the rack inorder to shoot. To me, it lets the younger bucks walk and live to grow up a little. You will see better bucks and more of them in your herd in a couple of years.

It is also a law that I believe will help teach a young hunter to hunt safely.

But more so for me, I feel it will make it safer for all who hunt. Hunters will have to actually make an evaluation of the deer they are about to shoot at and not just fire away at the first glimse they get of a deer.

There is a vote going on, on this site regarding this issue.

OK, antler restrictions, I get it now. Hmm, interesting fact the we don't do that for does, how can you remotely verify the age of a doe, I guess one have to use own judgment if its tall enough or not....I get the antler restriction part, thanks for the explanation

I'm not patting myself on the back. I never asked you to cared about my hunting choices. I don't really care what you think.

Just don't ever complain that there is a shortage of deer in your area. Shoot em up!

I do believe in trying an AR program for my own reasons. In seeing the survey results I am not alone. HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Oh please, you are passing judgement upon others for filling tags. If thats what you are going to do, then dont sit there and get defensive when someone calls you on it. There is no shortage of deer in my area, so Im not worried about filling my tags. See, you sit here and make assumptions on people and its just making you look foolish. Im far from being a "brown its down" kind of guy.

BTW, why are you bringing AR into a venison donation thread? It has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Just more patting yourself on the back.  ::)

Wheres that worlds greatest hunter thread? You would probably feel right at home in there.  :D

Oh please, you are passing judgement upon others for filling tags. If thats what you are going to do, then dont sit there and get defensive when someone calls you on it. There is no shortage of deer in my area, so Im not worried about filling my tags. See, you sit here and make assumptions on people and its just making you look foolish. Im far from being a "brown its down" kind of guy.

BTW, why are you bringing AR into a venison donation thread? It has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Just more patting yourself on the back.  ::)

Wheres that worlds greatest hunter thread? You would probably feel right at home in there.  :D

I agree, put him at the top of the "worlds greatest hunter list".

I thought this was about feeding the hungry... i have donated one deer every year for the last 5 years ... Venison donation is a good program... you can even donate part of your deer.. for example if you don't like venison hamburger you can donate that portion of your deer to the program.

I am not against that at all. Donating a deer is great. I am not against the program. I am aware of some who go out to shoot deer and donate all the deer they shoot to the program. They don't even like venison. They just get a charge from killing and will shoot 4 or 5 deer then gloat about supplying deer to the program. They use the program to feed their desire to kill deer. It cost them nothing. Maybe there should be a $5 charge to drop deer off to help defray the cost for processing. Do you know if the costs for processing comes from hunting license fees or from taxes?

Again, NY sells tags for deer because they need the population kept in check. If guys are filling tags, they are doing their job. As long as the deer is not going to waste, why do you care if they eat it themselves or donate it? Your assumption that they are doing it just to "get a charge from killing" is nothing more than you making an assumption, and we all know what happens when you assume.  ;)

I have donated quite a few deer int he past. I think the program is great. Personally, I would rather see the needy get the meat rather than some of these abused social programs, but that is another story.

I think charging a hunter to donate is about the craziest thing I have heard in a long while. hmmmm....charge to help the needy out ??? ??? . you have to be kidding me. Even if the cost comes from taxes I think it should work. tax money to put good food in front of them or tax money to feed them in other ways. still tax money.

Not an assumption. I know hunters who do this.

you don't get excited about a kill? I do and I am not ashamed of it. It is part of the sport..part of the traditional excitement of our heritage. ...hmmmm...we can hunt and kill but we can't enjoy the killing part of it? Sounds like another one that is all for femminizing the country.

youth sports with no score keeping

dressing the QB's in dresses because they can no longer get hit

feelings...feelings...feelings.

you don't get excited about a kill? I do and I am not ashamed of it. It is part of the sport..part of the traditional excitement of our heritage. ...hmmmm...we can hunt and kill but we can't enjoy the killing part of it? Sounds like another one that is all for femminizing the country.

youth sports with no score keeping

dressing the QB's in dresses because they can no longer get hit

feelings...feelings...feelings.

Well said.

The problem is, just because you know a few people that do it, you get into dangerous territory in using a broad brush to paint your picture. Thats where assumptions start becoming evident.

Regardless, Im with Culver on this, Im a hunter, of course I enjoy a kill. If you are a hunter and dont enjoy that aspect, then you may want to just take up photography instead. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that part of hunting and no reason to make excuses about it.

I'm not going to get involved in the current argument but aside from the donation of meat, Our local Elks club (a social club like the Eagles , moose, woodsmen etc.) takes the hides in donation and has coats and gloves made for homeless vets. It's a great program and gives somewhere for you to dispose of the hide other than the dump or the side of the road.

I basically only archery hunt for deer. I enjoy being in the outdoors during this season. If and when I get a deer, I get a feeling of accomplishment. I put a lot of time and effort into it. It is the challenge of trying to harvest a deer that I enjoy.You have to do your homework.  Usually you have done things right to get a deer during archery season.

Gun season not so much. Usually the shots you get at deer happen because someone else spooked the deer.

I certainly don't have to bring a change of underwear with me to change into when I get one.

I basically only archery hunt for deer. I enjoy being in the outdoors during this season. If and when I get a deer, I get a feeling of accomplishment. I put a lot of time and effort into it. It is the challenge of trying to harvest a deer that I enjoy.You have to do your homework.  Usually you have done things right to get a deer during archery season.

Gun season not so much. Usually the shots you get at deer happen because someone else spooked the deer.

I certainly don't have to bring a change of underwear with me to change into when I get one.

That certainly explained it all to me. Thanks.  ;)

Yes marketing would be a good idea, I just figure it's my job as a hunter and a concerned person to let others know around my area. I am a member of the Eagles club here and I have tried to get this program through our club, the guy that was pushing it and doing the research on where exactly to go with them has passed away and I regretfully have dropped the ball but I do feel it's a very necessary program. Many homeless people go without or with very little. I WILL be picking the ball back up for next season. I think it's great.