Yum Yum Backstraps

fasteddie

My son is marinading some venison backstraps with a Peppercorn marinade . That stuff is awesome . I used to be able to get the Durkees marinade but havn't been able to find it in quite a while . McCormick makes a fair Peppercorn / Garlic marinade that works in a pinch .  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do you BBQ them? Low and slow or?

Most times slow and low is the way to go however I prefer high heat searing for venison loin and cooked no higher than med rare. Lesser cuts benifit greatly from slow and low, I go with 225-250 degree's when doing that method. If it is on the grill I only use the back burner, leaving the meat towards the front and let it go for as long as I can stand it...I get hungry and give in to temptation.. :(

Hey Geno, how do you have loins left at this time of the year!!! I'm jealous..haha

Believe it or not I tried BBQing some backstrap for the very first time this past weekend.  I never tried it because I always thought it might dry out too much on a BBQ since venison is so lean, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I was a bit hesitant trying the bacon wrap method, but it sure does do the trick in helping to keep it moist.  It was more tender than any darned steak you could buy!  As others said, the trick is not to overcook it.  Well done doesn't work with venison, that is for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I only do tenderloins whole and on the grill. I think it is a sin to cut them up before cooking!! :O

Trick is to trim super good and marinate a couple days and grill whole. I do not do low and slow kinda more medium. I suggest taking a cold beer and a knife out to the grill with you and after you cook it a bit slice a piece off the end to test it. Test repeatedly and maybe bring two beers. It is even better with your fingers right off the grill. It should be nice and red/pink in center. When you pull it let it rest for 5 minutes and slice thick. Goes well with portabellas cooked down in beer and butter, and smashed taters. Tenderloin should be 1/4 smaller when you bring it in the house. ;D 

You will not be disappointed in trying this, promise!