Decoys?

Cabin Fever

Does anyone use decoys, either buck or doe? I have a couple of spots that I think would be great for a decoy setup. Been thinking about getting a decoy to try now for a 3-4 years now. Just haven't made up my mind.... Don't want anything too intimidating.

I've got a used Boss buck that I'm willing to part with for cheap.

It has one leg that partially screws on and needs either velcro, double sided tape or even a screw through it. When I bought it, there was a plastic mold issue at the factory, so they sent me a new one. I've never even used the new one yet because the one I bought is still useable....I just took a loop of duct tape and it worked...lol.

Decoys are fun...lots of work....but fun to do a few times a season.

Edited by phade

Used mine a few time in the woods, along or in the ATV paths with no luck.

A buck seeing the decoy from a distance is the key factor in its' success.

Along the edge of a field (food plot) is probably the ideal setup.

Funny Phade mentioned a 3 legged decoy, got one myself.

FYI - They are molded plastic parts and snap tabs, so they won't take a lot of abuse.

I unstake mine after use, put it under a treestand & cover it up with camo cloth.

DO NOT leave it out during the winter or you also will have a 3-legger.

I lugged my 3D archery deer target down into the thicket in front of the house, and all I got was a whole lot of foot stompin, head bobbing, and snorts from the group of does that came in. I don't know what went wrong, but they weren't fooled for a minute. Not only were they not fooled, but they were downright irritated. I don't think it was a scent thing, because the wind was in a good direction and they really weren't that close to it.

Anyway, after that experience, I never bothered with trying to decoy deer again. I know they work, but just not for me.

I lugged my 3D archery deer target down into the thicket in front of the house, and all I got was a whole lot of foot stompin, head bobbing, and snorts from the group of does that came in. I don't know what went wrong, but they weren't fooled for a minute. Not only were they not fooled, but they were downright irritated. I don't think it was a scent thing, because the wind was in a good direction and they really weren't that close to it.

Anyway, after that experience, I never bothered with trying to decoy deer again. I know they work, but just not for me.

Ever bring a new woman into your house? How'd your wife react?

Same thing happens to does...they don't like unfamiliar ladies (or bucks for that matter) on their ground. Does in general are a mixed bag with decoys. Most don't like them because they are curious.

phade is correct...more so on the doe than buck but correct....A doe will know all the other doe in the area...and they do know if there is one they've never seen nor smelled alarms go off to something out of place....That's why I will only use the 2 buck decoy I have...bucks travel in and out of areas all the time...and pair it up with the turkey decoy...it's almost like..."Well it the turkey is OK with that deer I don't have a problem"

Use a half rack...I face the buck slightly quarter to. Based on the set, I try to force the buck to swing around in front of me. Bucks will more times than not come in from the front of the decoy if a buck and back if a doe - after they circle downwind.

Scents are presonal choice. I use them from time to time, but only Northern Whitetails as it is fresher....does it help? Hard to tell, really.

I think movement is key. I usually place a sheet of tp bunched up at the top and pin it to the deke for a tail...little wind and it blows. That really seems to fool them.

Use only a buck deke iny my opinion...you can use a buck/doe set...that works well, too. Doe decoys are really too much trouble to succeed.

It is work...I'll usually hunt a set in the afternoon, take the deke with me, set it up...hunt...if no success, I'll cover the deke by the stand in a camo burlap and hunt the a.m. again with it then move. Obviously, the wind needs to be right for both hunts. It saves on having to drag in and out each hunt and reduces noise imo.

Don't use it more than 2-3x max on a large parcel. Bucks become wise to it if you overuse the tactic on the same ground.

Edited by phade

I have a Flambeau decoy - standing, head up posture. I usually break it out a couple times each year. I've used it with horns and without, standing and bedded. I've tried not calling, grunt calling and rattling; away from and near scrapes. I've tried scents, no scents and tails that would flip in the breeze or tails on a string that I could flip myself to get some movement. I've only been sure that I had another deer see it, once. It was a spike in a lightly wooded area. He was probably about 25-30 yds. from the decoy and cross wind when he saw it. Once he spotted it, he froze, and soon turned inside out and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I've shot a lot of deer but no real luck with a decoy.

Scents are presonal choice. I use them from time to time, but only Northern Whitetails as it is fresher....does it help? Hard to tell, really.

I think movement is key. I usually place a sheet of tp bunched up at the top and pin it to the deke for a tail...little wind and it blows. That really seems to fool them.

Scent near the decoy, but not on it. Otherwise you'll be sorry.

Strip of white. plastic grocery bag works pretty well on ears(s) &/or tail & is waterprof.

Scent near the decoy, but not on it. Otherwise you'll be sorry.

Strip of white. plastic grocery bag works pretty well on ears(s) &/or tail & is waterprof.

On the ground...have used the pads that hook on underneath but never found it necessary.