Guido web

dirt_a_KISS

I have been looking into many tree stands over the course of three or four months. Recently though, i found out about the Trophy-Line tree saddle, which caught my attention. The tree saddle allowed you to move 360 degrees. While researching i found out the company had "supposed" went out of businesses i am not to sure on that but i don't know. So i found the Guido web, same concept as the tree saddle. Well i was wondering if anyone had used them and if are they reliable and comfortable being the fact that your just suspended in mid air with no real seat.

Edited by dirt_a_KISS

I use a saddle. I have heard good things about Guidos web. Particularly if you modify the attachment system so it hooks on like the tree saddle. I have heard it is more comfortable but less maneuverable than the saddle but if you modify it you get the best of both worlds.

you can still find saddles on EBAY and the AT classifieds

Hah- I was confused too. It appears that Guido's Web is a big improvement over the Tree Saddle. The idea and function is the same with the hunter being tethered a little above the waist facing towards the tree. It appears Guido's design solves some of the shortcomings of the Tree Saddle though. One thing I've always fought with is having the harness pinching down on mmy thighs and cutting off circulation. Guido seems to have solved this by not having the 2 tether straps connected across the front of the waist and by building a padded seat in as well. I actually use a small board with a foam hot seat screwed to it to keep the outsides of the harness from digging into my thighs. I also wear knee pads for when I am just sitting there kneeling against the tree. Guido has a v-bar underneath the seat to help with this.

Even though the Tree Saddle has its shortcomings I still love it and have only hunted out of a traditional tree stand once in the last 5 years. It appears Guido's Web may be even better and even though it is pricey I am going to order one. Here is a link: http://www.guidosoutdoors.com/index.php/our-products NICE FIND DIRT_A_KISS! The advantages I am going to list apply to both:

* If you enjoy the flexibilty of stand location when using a climber, these "harness" stands are even better! You can hunt from almost any tree any where and it can have limbs and be crooked. No need to trip around in the woods looking for a straight tree with no limbs. I have been in some "wolf" trees and others that are barely more than saplings.

* The harness is the safest way to hunt from a tree. I am connected to the tree all the way from the ground up and then back down again.

*Because you always have weight on the tether you never have those "oh crap, I'm about to fall, but I caught myself" split second moments. (Imagine looking over a cliff and your jerk brother sneaks up behind you, grabs your arm and goes RAHHH!, same feeling)

* Instead of owning a bunch of stands you can have a bunch of trees with pegs or climbing sticks set up, much cheaper.

* You face the tree, so you can see what gadget you are reaching for and also use the tree to hide behind.

* Shifting position can be done smoothly and quietly.

I usually go up trees with screw in pegs. I have a puch I carry in my pack that I put in at the base of the tree. I loop the lineman's belt around the tree which keeps me safe and allows me to use 2 hands to screw in pegs. Once I get high enough I screw in 3 pegs all on the same level to put my feet on and allow myself plenty of options for positioning. I have also welded a couple prototype foot "platforms" that stich out from the tree about 3 inches on 3 sides of the tree.

I have also tried climbing spurs whihich takes practice and hurts the tree. I have looked into using climbing ropes like arborists do and I think I may have stumbled onto another way to climb without hurting the tree. My dad tries to use climbing sticks but he makes a ton of noise and they weigh too much.

That is a good question- I would say yes, but without having one in my hands I can't be positive. I watched the youtube video above- seems to function the same way as a Tree Saddle but looks a lot more comfortable. I am going to buy one because I know how much I love my Tree Saddle. It made me more of a potent predator being able to set up wherever I needed to. I can't tell you the number of times I've looked at a map or an aerial photo, picked a general area, picked out a tree when I got there and connected.

Thanks. Did it take you long to get "used" to hunting that style? I know many people end up selling the saddle after a few hunts.Those who use it well have some good bucks on the wall. Wondering if the web would follow the same path for many people.

The fall I bought my Tree Saddle I had already hung 12-15 lock on stands and had more in my garage. I ended ups selling them all after my first hunt in the Tree Saddle. If you are used to hunting with a climber, then the transition to a "harness stand" is no big deal. If you are used to hunting from a permanent stand or even worse, a shooting house, then there is definitely a big change. I have hardly ever hunted from the same tree twice, so the deer don't pattern you like they would if you were using a permanent stand. This has helped my success ratio quite a bit. Also- just tripped over another way to get up a tree. I can't exactly figure out what they are made of- 2" well pipe cut at 45 degrees? Whats interesting about these is that they were invented by a guy that hunts the same way that I do.

Oh- I get it now. Not really because your feet are on pegs into the tree or whatever you choose to use. I have been up a small ash tree in 30mph wind- not the best ride I ever had but better than sitting in a lock on stand under the same conditions. The only disadvantage is that it could be a little harder to unhook yourself from the tree to jump if it started to go over!

OK Well actually this would be my first time using any type of tree stand ever. Because I've always sat, never been in a tree. So hopefully i will like and use a lot in all different situations.

Generally speaking, being on the ground is a rush with deer. But, nothing beats sitting in a treestand (or web) and watching it all go down. Pretty cool experience.