Good Deer Medicine?

jusputtn

In Canada, it is possible that more moose have been killed with the 30-30 and the .303 british than any other calibers..

Shoot 'em in the ribs, they die...

Shoot 'em in the neck, they die...

Over the last 50 years, probably the .308 and the 30-06 have accounted for more moose, but up until perhaps 1960, a LOT of moose were killed with the 30-30 and the .303..

I did a Newfoundland moose hunt last year... There were five moose taken out of the camp by seven hunters. One with a 300 Win mag...One with a 7mm rem mag..One with a .270 Win., One with a .308.. The biggest one was taken with a .303 , or as the Newfies call it, a tree ought tree... All five moose were equally dead....

Years ago, a friend and I hunted Maine for deer. We didn't have much luck. but one of the better guides used a 303 army rifle, with a scope, to take alot of moose and deer. The second year we hunted there ,he took a nice buck with it. That night he told us " it kills em as good as those store guns" I'd use one

Is the Kittery Trading Post in Maine? I am going to L.L.Bean in Freeport, is it anywhere near?

South of there on US 1......closer to the NH state line.

Decent used gun collection; like anything have to know what your looking at.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/

Bought a decent drilling there....should have kept it.

Tried to negotiate on a 375 bolt gun that wouldn't feed. It was still there 2 years later.

South of there on US 1......closer to the NH state line.

Decent used gun collection; like anything have to know what your looking at.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/

Bought a decent drilling there....should have kept it.

Tried to negotiate on a 375 bolt gun that wouldn't feed. It was still there 2 years later.

Thanks Dinsdale I am going to diffently go there.

Best time to look at Kettery TP for used guns is the few weeks just before Christmas. They have them in there 4-5 deep leaning agaist the casees. People trade guns in to fund their Christmas purchase.

Yea, that sounds right, unfortunatly we are going to Maine in October, the wife has to look at the trees changing. Leaf peepers!!

Sounds like good advice for timing, Culver..

However, ANY time you are going up I 95 is a good time to stop at Kittery....

Pretty cool gunshop and lots of good used firearms to peruse..

I may have to stop in there on my way to or from my New Brunswick deer hunt this year.

proximity and bullet placement is key, size 30 cal is 30 cal.... be interesting to know how much game is taken wit a .22 lr.

That is a very interesting ? I know time's are different and we have alot more strickter law's/regulation's now but most sure alot of older member's could give us some idea.

proximity and bullet placement is key, size 30 cal is 30 cal.... be interesting to know how much game is taken wit a .22 lr.

Think it's safe to say that no one is going to step up to defend the smaller calibers when it's socially frowned upon by most. Very unfortunate with the bigger is better mentality here.

My first gun was purchased in 1956 at Ramsey outdoor store in Paramus NJ...I paid a total amount of $24.95 for a 303 call WWII leftover, had never made it over to EWNgland, was made here in the good old USA in CA. I also purchase for $16.95 a 100 rounds of ammo that was the WWII ammo, was great for target shooting and sightin in my first scope for the rifle a few years later. Still have the gun it took my first buck in NY with it and several others till I got my 742 remington 308 cal woodmater in 1966...