Hunting Terms to Loathe

fasteddie

I like the dialog where the buck is 150 yds out and he's walking toward the hunter. They say wait til he's closer... wait a little while longer til he's closer... wait til he get's a little closer.... wait til he turns... wait just a bit more... now wait... now wait... let him turn a bit more... there ya go... OK now take him.

Come on now... these guys have never sat in the woods of NY and had a nice buck come on by. Ya take him the first good shot you got. Anything could just make this buck take off in any direction and your left with nothing... a hot doe could come running out or another buck may come into the field or thru the woods. These shows are BS.

I hate that.. Half these guys would never shoot a single deer in gun season in NY.. Most every hunter i know here will take the first ethical opportunity and bury them.

Plain and simple it's easy to bash someone on tv... We would all like to make a perfect shot I hope. But in reality it does not always happen. They say perfect shot because thats what the producers want them to say and it is what they think happened because they have a downed deer. Ted tends to exagerate things IMO from what I have seen...

I don't get to bothered by the terms: harvest or freak nasty or some person giving a graphic detail about tracking. What really bothers me is the word CULL. That word really gets me pumped... Just another word to make killing sound nice... I hate cullings...

I do not watch to many TV shows, pathetic programing if you ask me. But every once in a while I see and watch a deer show when flipping through the 100 plus channels... While I am sure many of these people are experienced hunters the reality is these shows have no real representation of hunting in NY. While we do have farms and similar land and food in some area's the general hunting situation is much differant.

In so far as being excited when shooting a nice deer... If you would have seen me in 2010 when I came upon my downed deer, well lets just say that after hunting for mature deer for over 20 plus years (Missing 3 so heart braking!) then coming to the reality of getting one, I was overjoyed and could not contian myself and let out a huge YEA! I did not dance around but you would have though it was rehearsed if you saw it... I can not explain how overjoyed I was or how many times I thanked our good lord... Trying to make my own luck and make it happen again. I am on a 10 year a deer schedual right now. (ADK deer one in 2000 and one in 2010, one catskill in 2006 those are all my kills...) I hope to brake that this year by getting another mature ADK buck!!! Or may be a LI buck as this will be my 1st year fighting with the ticks, I think. OK time to go shoot the bow...

Plain and simple it's easy to bash someone on tv...

Lol .... A lot of them make it awful easy. There are some things occurring on TV hunting programs that simply should not ever be aired. I think a lot of it deserves to be bashed. After all, like it or not, there are a lot of opinions formed by non-hunters based on those programs. And also like it or not those actions on TV reflect on all of us hunters in the eyes of those that are not a part of the hunting community.

What bothers me the most is that they believe if you shoot anything less than a 4 to 5 year old that you are doing something wrong. I dont want to start an AR/QDMA argument and if you want to only shoot "mature" bucks thats fine with me but I would be more interested to watch a few regular joes go out and hunt, maybe film their season from summer scouting and treestand placement through the late season. These shows are not hunting shows they are killing shows bc hunting to me starts with the scouting/planning/preparation and not just having some outfitter stick you in a tree and say shoot the biggest one of the forty deer you will see on the first morning.

What bothers me the most is that they believe if you shoot anything less than a 4 to 5 year old that you are doing something wrong. I dont want to start an AR/QDMA argument and if you want to only shoot "mature" bucks thats fine with me but I would be more interested to watch a few regular joes go out and hunt, maybe film their season from summer scouting and treestand placement through the late season. These shows are not hunting shows they are killing shows bc hunting to me starts with the scouting/planning/preparation and not just having some outfitter stick you in a tree and say shoot the biggest one of the forty deer you will see on the first morning.

When you hunt behind a fence, anything less than a 4 or 5 year old buck IS doing something wrong.