TO ANYONE HUNTING IN LETCHWORTH

Larry

Just to let you all know I called Letchworth state park today to see when permit applications would be available on line. I was told not till September 15th then I was told the park was NOT GOING TO OPEN FOR HUNTING TILL October 15TH . I’m going to call back on Sunday to confirm this. Just a heads up to those who hunt Letchworth.

There are two different "groups" hunting Letchworth: the regular hunters in the section generally north of the Castile entrance and those who will be putting in for the special archery only lottery in the southern part. I am in the latter group. Last I talked with Meg the biologist there, they said they had no plans to move the special archery lottery up from nov 1. They may extend it later though.

Just to let you all know I called Letchworth state park today to see when permit applications would be available on line. I was told not till September 15th then I was told the park was NOT GOING TO OPEN FOR HUNTING TILL October 15TH . I’m going to call back on Sunday to confirm this. Just a heads up to those who hunt Letchworth.

I was curious how the new dates were going to work in the park. Post up what you find out Sunday.

I spoke with a park police when i was there last week and he said the dates would not change as far as hunting. I hope you all know its about camping and money first and hunting last. I have never seen the park in such rough shape. The sides of the park road were not cut all summer from the looks of it from the perry entrance up to castile, Trees were down out into those uncut areas.

Never saw a deer the full day we were there and we pulled out about 7pm. Acorns are dropin and the ground is rock hard so deer sign was about none but there is alot of corn up on the farms so im sure they are there. I hope a little better than last year!!! They were there but numbers were way down for sure!!!
  • Like 1

I've hunted letchworth for a long time. I have been lucky to always get a deer most years with my bow but I really don't see that many deer at all. I here some guysdoalright in the bottoms but ivedne that to and seen little. Anyone have any other opinions or are the deer numbers just way down in the park?

The 2012 archery/muzzleloading permit is available now.The 2012 shotgun application did not load completely when I downloaded it and then I tried to open it from the web page ,same result. The first page opens but the second with the application does not.Must be an incomplete p.d.f on the park's end.

http://nysparks.com/parks/79/permits-applications.aspx

I've hunted letchworth for a long time. I have been lucky to always get a deer most years with my bow but I really don't see that many deer at all. I here some guysdoalright in the bottoms but ivedne that to and seen little. Anyone have any other opinions or are the deer numbers just way down in the park?

They are there!! Ya just might have to dig a little deeper to find them. Are the numbers like they were 15 years ago? Not even close. I still see groups of deer at a time while hunting the park. Really very few places we go that we dont see numbers of deer.

They have had AR in place now for what 3 years. The bucks are getting bigger,older and smarter. The sharpshooters took a few off the park itself and the hundreds of DMAPS they hand out do a number on them on the edge of the park.

I believe the east side is starting to get better than the west side. We keep hip boots on the bottom and cross the river at times to hunt the east side bottom and a couple little islands in the river. We rope to the bottom from the west side as its much quicker down and very easy to get over to the east without having to go down off the river road. Keep hunting...You will find them!!!

• Like 1

The 2012 archery/muzzleloading permit is available now.The 2012 shotgun application did not load completely when I downloaded it and then I tried to open it from the web page ,same result. The first page opens but the second with the application does not.Must be an incomplete p.d.f on the park's end.

http://nysparks.com/...plications.aspx

I was told today ,while on the phone with the park people, that the shotgun permit application would be available Tuesday.

• Like 1

WNYBuckhunter,

Maybe you should start an "economics of hunting" thread instead of hijacking this one.

IMO more of both. Unfortunately with the economy is the crapper, I dont think we will be seeing either. The state cut alot of funding to the parks, Im just glad they are still open lol.

• Like 1

I believe this question fit right in with the subject!!! We were talking about letchworth and he asked a question about letchworth!! Maybe his question about others opinions and deer numbers was just a joke!! Either way i believe its right where it should be and should be left alone!!!

• Like 1

Actually, here is the original post, nothing to do with deer numbers.

Oh wait, you have some kind of beef with me so youll try and pick all of my posts apart as usual.

Why dont you read what I replied to him with, my suggestion was an attempt to be helpful so he would get more replies about the question he asked (deer numbers in the park). He chose to turn it into a pissing contest, as are you.

Actually, here is the original post, nothing to do with deer numbers.

Oh wait, you have some kind of beef with me so youll try and pick all of my posts apart as usual.

Why dont you read what I replied to him with, my suggestion was an attempt to be helpful so he would get more replies about the question he asked (deer numbers in the park). He chose to turn it into a pissing contest, as are you.

Im sure if he needed or wanted your help he would have asked. Oh Wait...I guess he kinda told ya that didn't he. The subject was on letchworth reguardless of the question. All was well and fine untill someone had to knock it down. Maybe it should have been left alone.Just my opinion!! We all get one remember!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Well your opinion is basesless. I am a moderator and here to help, even suggest things to help people find info, make the forums run smoother, etc. I even do that sometimes when people dont ask. Its not my problem the guy took my advice as some type of slam, I honestly wish he didnt.

You have no dog in this hunt, why are you taking time to give me crap? Could it be that you have some kind of beef with me? Yup. Grow up and stop being such a whiner.