Venison Sausage

I go online and buy the seasoning packets. I have a friend grind mine with the seasoning and some bacon to let it cook better. I go to the grocery store and buy bulk breakfast sausage and mix about 1/4 store sausage with my venison. I tried vacuum sealing patties and it did not work as well as sealing in bulk and making patties when I unthaw it.

For 10lbs;

4 TB salt

1 Tb ground peper

2 Tb sage

1 tsp ginger

1 Tb nutmeg

1 Tb thyme

optional is 1 Tb hot pepper

2 cups ice water.

I mix everything in the water and then add to the meat.

You need to add pork fat to the lean deer meat, some fatty shoulder works good.

Edited by Dinsdale

I go online and buy the seasoning packets. I have a friend grind mine with the seasoning and some bacon to let it cook better. I go to the grocery store and buy bulk breakfast sausage and mix about 1/4 store sausage with my venison. I tried vacuum sealing patties and it did not work as well as sealing in bulk and making patties when I unthaw it.

why do you buy the seasoning then add store bought bulk, thats not what i will be eating right?

why do you buy the seasoning then add store bought bulk, thats not what i will be eating right?

yeah you;re eating that, but its mixed with your leaner venison to get some of the pork fat into the venison, probably something like 80% venison( plus seasoning) and 20% bulk pork sausage mix

Here is a good one for breakfast sausage patties. I prefer a bit more of the fennel seed though. You can vary any of the ingredients and fry up a small amount until you come up with what you like.

Full Batch One-third batch

18 pounds ground venison 6 pounds ground venison

9 pounds ground pork 3 pounds ground pork

8 tablespoons salt 2 TBsp +2 tsp. salt

1 quart water (32 oz) 1 1/3 cup water

4 tablespoons fennel seed 4 tsp fennel seed

4 tablespoons sugar 4 tsp sugar

½ pound grated cheese (8 oz) 2-2/3 oz. (1/6 pound) grated cheese

6 tablespoons red pepper* 2 TBsp red pepper*

4 tablespoons garlic (minced/ jar) 1 TBsp + 1 tsp garlic (minced/ jar)

3 tablespoons coriander 1 TBsp coriander

8 tablespoons parsley 2 TBsp +2 tsp parsley.

Mix all spices and cheese together – add into 1 quart of water – pour into venison/ pork mixture. Mix Well.

• 6 tablespoons red pepper – you might want to reduce amount. 6 tablespoons made the venison a little to ‘hot’ for us!!

I use the seasonings from EASTMAN OUTDOORS (online or from Gander Mt.), breakfast or Italian seasoning. I use 100% ground venison...works well for me. My brother thinks it is a little dry, so he adds one tablespoon of olive oil per pound of ground venison...works well!

Favorite uses: Fry up a pound of ground venison breakfast sausage...refrigerate/freeze as "crumbles" for use when you are craving sausage gravy and biscuits...Delicious!

Fry up a pound of ground venison Italian sausage with onions and peppers to add to your homemade spaghetti sauce....can't be beat! When cooked, this Italian sausage with onions and peppers also makes a great pizza topping.

Something else you should try....soooo easy & soooo delicious: Grandma LaMure's SPICE 'n SLICE summer sausage seasoning. Mixed with two pounds of ground venison, this seasoning makes a great summer sausage...no casing needed. Make your first batch exactly as the pkg. directs....Thereafter, use your imagination.

Find this at www.spicenslice.com

For 10#:

6# venison

2# pork back fat

2# fresh pork butt or shoulder

Grind through fine plate of grinder. Add 3 oz of salt, 1/4 cup cold water, 3T of sugar, and 4T of fresh sage. Mix well, vacuum pack or plave in freezer bags, removing as much air as possible. I know it sounds like a lot of pork, but any less and it comes out too dry & crumbly when you cook it (IMO).

I use the LEM breakfast sausage mix along with a 50/50 blend of venison and pork shoulder. Its great tasting and not dry.

I just got done making my sausage. I went to Gander Mountain this morning and bought the seasoning. 5lbs of venison 5lbs of pork butt coarse ground seperate then fine ground together. I put them into 1lb bags and vacuum sealed. I made two taste testers and WOW, Jimmy Dean got nothing on these!!!!! Thanks :bye:

• Like 1

It'll get better after it sits and the spices blend more.....

Just be careful if testing fresh and adding heat like crushed red pepper flakes.

I made a batch when I first started and kept adding more than called for cause the sample didn't seem all that hot. After freezing/thawing then cooking.....WOW, that was some spicey sausage.

My favorite is a fresh brat recipe with venison, pork, and veal.....I usually raise a dairy calf and pig most years just to grind.

For my taste, you need to add some pork to keep your sausage moist..

I use pork shoulder ( pork butt) in about a 3/1 venison/pork ratio.

Some commercial blends I have tried have been quite good, but I really prefer a very simple venison/pork/sage/salt/black pepper blend for a breakfast sausage...Just go easy on the salt and the sage..

For 10#:

6# venison

2# pork back fat

2# fresh pork butt or shoulder

Grind through fine plate of grinder. Add 3 oz of salt, 1/4 cup cold water, 3T of sugar, and 4T of fresh sage, 3T cracked black pepper. Mix well, vacuum pack or plave in freezer bags, removing as much air as possible. I know it sounds like a lot of pork, but any less and it comes out too dry & crumbly when you cook it (IMO).

Oops...forgot the pepper. Fixed it.