NY food plot pics.

I don't post much on here but I read the threads most of the time. I wanted to post a thread of my food plot progress this year. I have had a great turnout so far and I am really excited to see how the season goes while hunting the plots. I have 10 tillable acres but I mainly focus on the 3.5 acre field that is secluded by woods. I started by planting 10 Dunstan chestnut trees in about a 1/2 acre spot at the end of the plot. They turned out great. Then we planted 2 acres of corn in the middle of the field and also another strip of corn in the larger field by the road.

corn12.jpg

smallcorn12.jpg

Then I planted the rest in ag beans around the 1st of june.

beans12.jpg

After the deer destroyed them (early august) IIMG_0623-1.jpg

I lightly disced the beans and planted Frigid forage Big and Beasty Brassicas in half of the field.

IMG_0652-1.jpg

Around the 30th of August I planted the rest of the field (right up to my treestand) in Winter Rye.

afterrye12.jpg

You can see it starting to come in good here. This is a view from where I will be on my first afternoon hunt!

treestandview.jpg

I wish everyone the best of luck this season. Be safe, wear your harness, shoot straight and be ethical! I am beyond excited!!!

Ya several years ago I had a DEC Forrester tweaked at the fact I was trying to go Saw Tooth...because I got them from the DEC...he point plank said they aren't hardy enough...Well mine have been in the ground for 15yrs now...Finally got one to 5ft tall and a buck came in and destroyed it and the fencing...the others 3ft...They do have a hardy root stock...but the cold temps cause them to die back every year...as they age the die back gets smaller ....The deer just stripped all my hazel nuts...love them...and I have chinese chestnuts...but have had...hhhmm goat/deer problem and some die back problems

Dude! If you research Chestnut Hill Tree farm or Realtree Nursery you will see that they are supplying the trees to Walmart and they are the same thing that I ordered only larger and older! They are actually cheaper too!! I just hope that a store closer to me gets stocked with them this year!

haha you saw the same thing i did..

i have chestnut hills website bookmarked and am going to keep seeing if they update the site on where they are sending them this coming spring. the closest one to me was on the new york border in PA maybe 30 miles west of 81. aka 2.5-3 hrs away

• 3 months later...

Thought I would update this with pics of the plots from early October.

This is a pic of the rye about a week before the season started. It was coming in well but the deer were eating it as fast as it came out of the ground.

IMG_0707_zpsb697466f.jpg

This one gives you a view of all 3 sections (Rye, Brassicas, Corn) It turned out fantastic!

IMG_0709_zps4be39489.jpg

Here is a view from the stand. I saw tons of deer out of this stand throughout the season. I didnt kill a deer out of if but I passed on a few small bucks and saw a ton of deer. It was very rewarding to see deer reacting and enjoying all my hard work!

treestandview.jpg

All in all it was by far my most successful year of foodplotting and I cant wait for next year.

After Christmas I went up to check the plots and found flock of 50 + turkeys devouring my corn!

IMG_0858_zps3370ee56.jpg

As you can see there are a few tracks in the field!

IMG_0871_zps01e6fd9a.jpg

And we also have a new toy to help make our plots easier and more fun this upcoming spring!!

IMG_0870_zpsc420e022.jpg

Good luck everyone! I hope everyone is as excited about the new year as I am!