2 part question?

dirt_a_KISS

Early today while out squirrel hunting seen three buck. The last one was a heart attack buck for. They immediately recognized

us and book into the thick fields. Here is where a little advice is needed(first part). I was wondering if there is a way too out smart the buck. Such as should i set up where he had booked it, or where i think he came out of? The other part is i seen my first rub and wonder is that also a good place to set up for(maybe that was made by the buck) considering i heard their good set ups for the pre-rut.

as it gets nearer the opening day and into Oct. You may start to see signs that this is his area such as a line of rubs and also he start making out scrapes. If he is making scrapes it may be both to show other bucks this is his area, and or a breeding scrape with a hanging brance that shows were the does should come to him. If you see all these things he may be back and or other bucks are in the area. I then try to backtrack the signs to were is his bedding area, and also trails going to the feeding area. I had one year so many signs in this one little area, I sat there must of the season and never did see a shooter buck, why, all was made at night. NOw with the trail cams, you can find out the time and size of the bucks in your area.

Alright well i figure that he might be crossing a road,, where corn is place in a field about 200 yards away from where i seen him. And the rub was found on the opposite side where i seen the buck. Should follow the rub line to see where it goes? Or should i start looking for some other food sources other that corn like apples or white oaks? Because it seems the natural funnel is 4ft tall grass next to pine trees where they will book it, when in danger or walk through it. That might be a possible setup for me is in the edge of the pines. Any opinons?

so basically don't get my hopes unless i seen him more frequently(pattering). Alright well thanks i rather be told the truth from experience people, then be disappointed in the season. But what about the rub, can i still hunt there. If so how far away should i hunt from it?

Sure.. you can get your hopes up... thats what makes it fun.. at least you've seen him and know he is in the area somewhere... I never hunt one rub.. I look for a series of rubs or a "rub line"... one rub, If it is even his rub, is usually just a place where he decided to stop and kill some time... rub lines and clusters of rubs are usually a sign of the buck frequenting the area.. I pay better attention to areas surrounding those types of rubs... but know that things will change drastically between now and when the heavy pre-rutting starts... you could run into him almost anywhere then... I pay more attention to scrapes than rubs early on... bucks seem to frequent them more.

Edited by nyantler

what exactly is a pinch point? By the rub, across the creep there is a big scrape maybe 3ft by 3ft(huge) with a licking branch. This weekend I'm going do some last minute scouting, and really make sure I've covered a lot of area because where they were travel is by a marsh area so maybe i-ll check that area out too.

what exactly is a pinch point? By the rub, across the creep there is a big scrape maybe 3ft by 3ft(huge) with a licking branch. This weekend I'm going do some last minute scouting, and really make sure I've covered a lot of area because where they were travel is by a marsh area so maybe i-ll check that area out too.

Usually the larger scrapes are made as a community scrape. It is still very early for exact locations as they are just starting to break up from the heard and the bucks are just starting to rub their velvet off. Your best bet in this circumstance is to follow the advice of some of the other guys and look to see if there are any rub lines, even from last year in the area. If he ran this area last year he may still use the same rub line. There is a huge difference between what you see now and what you will see in a month/ month and a half. Deer still hit my apple trees in my front yard now, but disappear in October. As for a pinch point, that is where a funnel comes together or where a trail goes down a hill/ creek crossing anywhere that the deer frequently use because they have no other way around. I usually hit the swamps/marsh during gun and edges of corn fields while the corn is still standing. Just my two cents, hope it helps. Or you can always try a trail cam and see when they are moving. Edited by Kot2B