Question?

erussell

So besides the obvious like a Bear, what do bears taste like? Is it an aquired taste or are they quite tasty? Is there anything special you have to do after you shoot a bear compaired to say a deer? How do you hang them by the neck or by the legs? I hunt some property that is over run with bears and plan on shooting one this yr. But I dont know what to do with it after I shoot it or even if I will like bear meat. Any input is appreciated.

From what I have gathered from reading around the net, Taste, depends on what the bear has been eating. If they have been dumpster diving they taste like trash. Which shouldnt be to much of a problem where I hunt. The acorns are plentifull this yr along with the hickorys and beech nuts so the meat should taste pretty good I guess. Anyone who has shot a bear have any advice on care of the bear after it is down?

Bear meat will taste different depending on what it has been eating. The most important thing to do, to keep the meat tasty, is cool the bear down as fast as you can. After you gut it, which is the same as gutting a deer, you want to keep the cavity open and on the topside to let the air cool it inside. If it's warm that day, it's best to skin it in the field to cool it faster, as the fur will insulate the meat and it won't cool at all.

Prior to cooking the meat, remove all of the fat that you can. The fat will give the meat a bad taste if you leave it on while cooking.

I find bear meat tastes a little like pork, but with a venison like gameiness to it.

The fat on a bear is much different than the fat on a deer. It is VERY sensative to spoilage and needs to be cooled down quickly and skinned fast if you intend on either doing a mount or a rug. If the fat starts to turn it will cause the hair to fall out and could ruin the hide. If you are skinning it try to leave the fat on the meat as you trim this hide off (trying to get as much fat off the hide during skinning is easier). the the fat can be trimmed off the meat much like a deer. It is almost a jelly consistency. Get as much off the meat as you can and like has been said the are what they eat.

I love bear meat and it is my daughters favorite meat even over domestic stuff. I prefer to cook it raised which lets any fat fall away from it. marinade and rubs are great for it. One of my favorite for steakes is a 50/50 mix with montreal steak seasoning and brown sugar. Into a blender and pulverize the mix. rub it on the steaks and wrap in plastic wrap over night. then gril as any other steak. I know there were other threads that discussed this so you might want to seasrch. CAUTION!!!! I am not saying anyone should do this because of possible diseases just like pork. I eat my bear medium...never well. just understand any risks before you cook it.

Good luck and one thing to think about before you go out....who will do your mount or rug. You are going to want to get it to them as soon as possible and knowing what you are going to do with it makes a big difference on how to cut during gutting and the skinning process. Pick one out and talk to them BEFORE tha hunt. then you know averything you will need to do so the mount is just as you want it. mounts are usually a money loser but a rug you can usually get your money back on if you ever sell it. (if it is taken care of) My taxidermists doesn't even request a deposit on a rug because he knows he can get more than his money back.

Good luck

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

And if you are luck enough to land one like this there is a BUNCH of meat...lol.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/big-game-hunting/big-game-hunting-season-tips/2012/09/us-veteran-sets-maine-s

One thing I have noticed about bear though. A 150# dressed buck will give you more meat than a 200-250# dressed bear. must be the hide and heavier bones. Much higher yeild on a deer.

Ditto what culvercreek said. Noticeably less meat on a bear than a deer of the same weight. I shot my first bear last year. It was in an area that doesnt have any dumps and is pristine. My family and I enjoyed that meat as much, if not more than deer meat. For me, it seemed that the bear meat tasted best when cooked as a roast in the slow cooker or in a stew. I also made a great chili with it.

I always said I would shoot one, just to see what the whole experience was about. the drag, the meat, the mount, etc. Now that I have been through it, I can say it was awesome. The only drawback was the cost of the mount. I wasn;t prepared for that. but I like it now that I have it.

agreed with all of the above. they are what they eat. and as far as prepping the meat, same concept with deer. if you like it better seasoned and or marinade then do that. I personally like my steaks with their natural flavor. I like the gamey taste others dont

Heard its one of the better game animals to put in chili also! So getting the animal skinned quickly is of the utmost importance. Now, Southern zone bears have to be examined by the DEC, is that before being skinned or after? I really cant find anything that states either way. If I kill a bear it will be for the meat, could care less about mounting it. May see if a local taxadermist wants the fur and skull or just pull a few canine teeth out and the claws as keep sakes and throw the rest of the hide away. But the meat is mostly what im after when it comes to bears.

• 3 weeks later...

Every year when I go out deer hunting I tell my family (in a kidding way) that "I'm gonna bring home a bear"... In fact, I'm telling them the truth but don't want to get ribbed when I don't come home with a bear, just Bambi's dad. Man would I love to stuble onto one!

Best of luck to everyone as the new season unfolds!!!!!

Edited by clayshooter25