shipping a firearm

I ran into a small problem trying to ship a gun back to Mossberg for a problem w/ the safe not working properly.

Was told by Mossberg to contact either UPS or Fedex and should be no problem. Went to the UPS store where the SOB behind the counter told me to read the sign behind counter which amongst other things stated no guns, explosives blah blah blah.....when I furhter questioned him about what Mossberg rep stated he told me they dont know what they are talking about.

On way back home I run into a Fedex guy in 7-11 ask him same question, you would have thought I had 3 heads the way he looked at me and he told me same thing. NO GUNS thru Fedex.

I then called Fedex main line explain my dilemma and the rep tells me I can ship a gun and rattles off several locations for me to do so.

Prior to shipping I went to the drop location spoke w/ the guy who gave me a box, bubble wrap and was happy to have my business.

Has anyone else ever ran into this type of run around ?

I have heard of problems with this before, seems you have to go to an actual UPS shipping depot. UPS Stores are individually owned/franchised.

"The UPS Store has more than 4,300 independently owned locations in the U.S., "

http://www.theupssto...ages/index.aspx

Firearms shipping per UPS:

http://www.ups.com/c...ch_phr=firearms

Down at the bottom of the page that the second link goes to it says:

"Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer. "

Edited by covert

+1 to Coverts' post....

I use USPS; cheaper and easier than the others.

Don't count on much satifaction from any of them if something goes wrong. So far so good with good packaging for me, maybe 25 times?

I use the cheapo Plano gun cases that sell for $20 at box stores for shipping wrapped with cardboard (appliance stores always have big pieces).

YMMV.

I sent my Mossberg 835 back to the factory about 5yrs ago. I went to the Post office, to ask how much it would cost, and the guy behind the counter told me that in order to ship the gun, the firing pin must me removed first?? After I politely told him how stupid I thought that was ,he said that as long the gun was made inoperable it could be shipped, and added that I would have to give him a letter, " to be put on file", stating that the gun was inoperable.

I took a USPO box home with me, removed the barrel form the gun and put the gun and barrel in the box. Then I scratched out a two line letter saying that the gun, in it's current condition, couldn't fire. Brought the gun and letter back to the PO and the guy took it. It was shipped back to me by UPS.

Next time I'll just get the box first, pack the gun and bring it to the Po so they don't know whats in it. It wasn't so much that it was a pain in the a$$ but that it was annoying

I had to send a mossberg back & shipped it through the usps No issues

You don't need an FFL if it is going back to the Manufacturer for repair as far as I know this is the only time you can ship a firearm without an FFL

According to the USPS site you can mail a long gun to yourself in another state C/O someone else, so you don't have to transport it if going hunting out of state.

Edited by covert