Anybody have a decent Venison Chili recipe?

UpStateRedNeck

Chili is like art, each person has their own rendering of what's good.

Here's mine:

1 - 1 1/2 lbs cooked venision (ground or sausage),

2 lg cans stewed, diced or whole toamatoes,

3 cans of 3 different varities of beans,

Green peppers, mushrooms, onions and 2 pkgs spicy chili mix.

I'm a whimp and have only used one pkg chili mix before & can't taste it, so 2 works.

Large crockpot for ~6 hours on low. Get it cooking on high for ~1 hr then low for ~4-5 hrs if you want.

Oh yeah, need a loaf of Italian bread too. Guess crackers would work as well.

Add anything you like or take out what you don't.

Hint: add venision, 1 can tomatoes, 1 can beans, extras and see how much room you have in crockpot.

Then add whatever else will fit.

Similar to SlowHand's

I cook up 3 - 4 pounds of ground venison . While I am cooking the venison , I open a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes and another of crushed maters and dump them in the crock pot . I dump in 3 cans of chili beans and a green pepper cut up quite small . When the ingredients in the crock pot get warm , I pour in a package of McCormick hot chili mix .

After the meat is cooked , I drain it and mix in a pack of McCormick regular chili mix and stir well . I then pour the meat into the crock pot , mix it up and leave it on high for a couple hours .

When Football season rolls around , I get things ready on a Saturday night . I don't add the meat to the other ingredients . I put the crock pot with the heated ingredients in the fridge and do the same with the burger . On Sunday am , I plug in the Crock pot , pour the meat in , set it on low before we leave for church . I may turn up the heat when we get home and by the time the game starts at 1 pm , it's more than ready . The Italian bread goes real well with chili .

I use to have season tickets at the Ralpf and the chili was always a hit when we tailgated

I use to have season tickets at the Ralpf and the chili was always a hit when we tailgated

Yeah the very-soon-to-be-wife and I are gluttons for football punishment too, and try and catch at least a couple games each year.  We went to that browns game last year and the tailgating was far and away the highlight of the day.'

Thanks guys, I took some chuck out of freezer this morning.  I need to buy a meat grinder, but I'd really like to buy my house first.

Most have to buy my cook-book to get this recipe.

Hope you enjoy it.

--------------------------

Chili

3 lbs chop meat

2 15-oz cans of red kidney beans

1 very large onion, diced

2 Tbs chili powder

2 Tbs pepper

1-Tbs salt

2 Tbs red pepper

4 cloves garlic

1 28 oz can tomato sauce

1 red, 1 yellow, 1 Orange bell pepper, chopped for flavor and color

2 jalapeño peppers

1 can corn

4 bay leaves - remove when done cooking

1 Tbs parsley

1 Tbs oregano

Cook chop meat till brown.

Place in a strainer, keep on side.

Place onion, garlic and bell peppers in pot. Cook for 5 minutes.

Put in sauce, meat and kidney beans. Cook on low for 1 hour.

Stir every 10 to 15 minutes.

Add chili powder, jalapeño pepper, corn, parsley, oregano, bay leaves and salt.

Stir every 10 minutes for ½ hour.

Put lid on pot and simmer for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.

Serve hot with white rice and Italian bread.

Mine is very similiar to the others but I drain all the tomatoes and press the fluid out. I replace with one can of beer or more depending on the amount of water I can get out. I prefer to use Guiness. I also add sliced mushrooms an hour before I want to eat. I refer to eat it spooned over white rice and to switch it up sometimes I don'e use ground venison but finely chopped stew. I seem to end up with stew left in the freezer evey year when the ground, steaks and loins are gone.

• 4 months later...

I just made chili last night...never cook using a recipe ...sight and taste ....but it's 3cans dark kidney and a can of wht beans....3-4 cans or home canned jars of diced tomatoes...5 lrg cloves of garlic....diced red and green bell and a can of mild chili peppers( roasted red peppers are great too) one med diced onion...red wine...worchestersauce and 3-4 Tbs of chili powder...blk pepper

...and well I never grind my deer meat before freezing...I defrost and put it in the food processor on grind and work it until it leaves the side of container(in 2 batches)...can't explain...but when frying it up it tastes like fine ground sirloin for some reason...1 1/2lbs...simmer to reduce nice and thick