My First Pheasants

Elmo

Went squirrel hunting. Found these instead. Saw a ton of pheasant hunters with dogs. We talked to them and they said they didn't see anything all day. Go figure. Here they are with dogs and they couldn't find anything and I come walking along and I limit out by finding two on two different occasions. Lady luck smiled at me today but you can have all the luck in the world and you still won't catch anything from your couch.

Gave the hen away and took the male (I will avoid the "c" word - my reputation here will taint it) to my dad. He whipped up some awesome teriyaki pheasant.

post-789-0-48148000-1350187870_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-62200400-1350187881_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-32807400-1350187892_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-00230800-1350187905_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-83494200-1350187914_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats, Elmo...Pretty impressive birds, eh ?...

They are among my favorite birds to eat, also.. I prefer them to grouse, but my all time favorite upland bird is quail, which I seldom get to hunt.

Hey, don't look now, but SOMEBODY sawed off the barrel of your SHOTGUN...hehehehe....

martin - sounds like a good plan.

crappyice - stewart state forest

pgymy - those birds are so beautiful it's a shame that I don't have the space in my tiny NYC apartment to have one mounted. It's also a shame that they have to taste so freakin good. I find them to them to be much better than any store bought chicken I ever ate. I have a 28" field barrel but a couple of people told that the added advantage of a longer barrel is minimal other than for the follow through, I went out and bought a 20" field barrel instead. Much lighter and easier to carry through the bush. Now my 28" barrel sits in the closet.

Congrats, You had to apply for parking permit right? Is that where your going for coyote?

The permit application is only for the opening weekend of gun season. That place is a war zone during gun season.

All other times, no permit required. When it's not deer season, there are two main parking lots. One in the north and one in the south. You just park there and walk in and hunt as you please. I stay off the trails though because the place it loaded with mountain bikers and hikers. Some welcome the hunters, other don't. I try to avoid confrontation. Don't want to be on the front pages of the morning news.

When it's deer season, you have to drive into the park. The park is sectioned off into individual lots that are marked with a sign stating how many cars can be parked in that particular lot. Most of them only allow one car. When you park in a lot, you can only hunt in that lot. You cannot walk into someone elses lot. Because this area gets crowded, this is how they avoid hunters getting into each other or pheasant hunters shooting at a pheasant and not seeing the bowhunter in a tree stand near by. If it's not overly crowded, I would hunt a partcular lot and if I have no luck, get in a car and drive to the next lot, etc. This system is only in place when deer season is open.

Edited by Elmo

martin - sounds like a good plan.

crappyice - stewart state forest

pgymy - those birds are so beautiful it's a shame that I don't have the space in my tiny NYC apartment to have one mounted. It's also a shame that they have to taste so freakin good. I find them to them to be much better than any store bought chicken I ever ate. I have a 28" field barrel but a couple of people told that the added advantage of a longer barrel is minimal other than for the follow through, I went out and bought a 20" field barrel instead. Much lighter and easier to carry through the bush. Now my 28" barrel sits in the closet.

Just making conversation ,Elmo...Short barrels are fine with me..

I have a 28" barrel for my 11-87 and the only thing I use it for is ducks and geese..

My main small game gun is a S/S 20 gauge with 25" barrels.. It is probably near the same OAL as your pump with the 20" barrel..Very handy in brush and other upland cover.

I have a 21" barrel for the 11-87 that I use for turkeys, but I have used it several times for waterfowl..Made my one and only triple on ducks with the short barrel and several doubles and triples on geese.. Short barrels are fine with me..

Congrats, Elmo...Pretty impressive birds, eh ?...

They are among my favorite birds to eat, also.. I prefer them to grouse, but my all time favorite upland bird is quail, which I seldom get to hunt.

Hey, don't look now, but SOMEBODY sawed off the barrel of your SHOTGUN...hehehehe....

Was on sale...half off...

Great shooting Elmo. We can't shoot hens here unless we are on a preserve. Make me miss my Springer

• Like 1

Congrats Elmo... good job... Luck doesn't always just happen.... The harder you work the luckier you get..

You showed up... You worked for those birds ..... you deserved those birds..

You will relive that hunt for those first pheasants for the rest of your life

The permit application is only for the opening weekend of gun season. That place is a war zone during gun season.

All other times, no permit required. When it's not deer season, there are two main parking lots. One in the north and one in the south. You just park there and walk in and hunt as you please. I stay off the trails though because the place it loaded with mountain bikers and hikers. Some welcome the hunters, other don't. I try to avoid confrontation. Don't want to be on the front pages of the morning news.

When it's deer season, you have to drive into the park. The park is sectioned off into individual lots that are marked with a sign stating how many cars can be parked in that particular lot. Most of them only allow one car. When you park in a lot, you can only hunt in that lot. You cannot walk into someone elses lot. Because this area gets crowded, this is how they avoid hunters getting into each other or pheasant hunters shooting at a pheasant and not seeing the bowhunter in a tree stand near by. If it's not overly crowded, I would hunt a partcular lot and if I have no luck, get in a car and drive to the next lot, etc. This system is only in place when deer season is open.

Gotcha. I go for turkey there in the spring. but never looked into it for pheasants but once i heard parking rules I didn't want to bother. Thanks for info