Vacation Time

Kevin

So I just found out that I have 4 day of vacation time available I have to use before the end of the year. What is the general opinion on the rut? I have heard rumors of they are starting the chase phase now. What do you all think is the best time to take time off?

Thanks

Before gun??? sorry man but gun starts this sat Oct. 20th

(unless ur not in NY)

SZ has a different date then NZ and places down by the city.

OP...if you hunt bow and gunt...I'd do three days of bow around Nov. 7-9. That way you have 7-11...good chasing and action there imo. Any early and with that short of window...you run the risk of a warm front slowing things. Too much gamble imo with three-four days.

Take a day for gun somewhere...

and how much notice do you have to give employer? do you have flexibility to wait until we are closer to see what weather is doing or does it have to be decided this week?

they are pretty flexible so I can keep an eye and the weather and trail cams to see what's happening. I was just wondering what the opinion out there was.

they are pretty flexible so I can keep an eye and the weather and trail cams to see what's happening. I was just wondering what the opinion out there was.

Wow...talk about nice!

I still would look at the tail end of that first week and the first part of that second week imo. If you get a cold front coming in...game on...phone call to the bossman and running out the door!

If i only had two days to take off it would be mon and tue (5th and 6th). That would give you the weekend and those two days. I personally would not wait and pick a day after the 10th if you can help it. Lock down is a real possibility after that. First week is always better IMO. Then use the 2 other days in gun. I like hunting the opener but i find the very end of the season to be good as well because by then things have settled down a bit and the woods are a bit quieter.

If i only had two days to take off it would be mon and tue (5th and 6th). That would give you the weekend and those two days. I personally would not wait and pick a day after the 10th if you can help it. Lock down is a real possibility after that. First week is always better IMO. Then use the 2 other days in gun. I like hunting the opener but i find the very end of the season to be good as well because by then things have settled down a bit and the woods are a bit quieter.

While I agree that the days are good, I do not like choosing a Mon/Tues off because of the pressure. You'll have pressure from the weekend going into the two days you took off. Certainly more people take Fridays off as compared to Mondays, but I prefer having the benefit of the days before the weekend to hunt. Miniscule point, but I think it is a factor. That's why I opted for the following Thur/Fri in my suggestion.