Grip wraps and Silencers

burmjohn

Be careful on how well you fix this problem. Bow manufacturers have worked diligently over the years to make the bow grips as skinny as possible. The reason? ........ to help eliminate hand torque on the bow. While there are no absolutes when it comes to bow shooting, most of what I have read on proper hand grip discourages actually "gripping" the handle. The bow grip should actually be just a "cradleing" rather than an actual grip. That's what they recommend anyway. Of course we all know that all the proper text-book recommendations don't always work for everybody.

There are many materials that could be used to increase the grip size. Several layers of some sort of camoflage tape is the first thing that comes to mind. I have also seen people playing with auto body filler to customize their bow grip area.

Doc

Doc is right on the grip, they are designed that way. I wouldnt mess with it unless it is very uncomfortable. I know when I shoot, the sides of the grip arent touched much, mostly the back of it that sits in the palm of my hand.

As far as the string silencers go, Id get some string leeches, they work just as well as those big floppy or fluffy ones, but they dont kill your string speed as much, or get wet and/or frozen in bad weather. Just my opinion.

I would also recomend a string suppressor or damper or decelerator.. what ever you want to call it they work great to quiet that super powerfull string down. I shot several bows that had them this past spring and I was impressed with them, there was a deffinite difference between bows that did and did not have them. When you put all of those silencers and decellerators together it makes for a shock free quiet bow, perfect for hunting.

Keeping your hand open with all the preasure on your palm is the only way to keep your flight true.  closing your hand around the grip unintentionally makes you twist your bow whick most of the time will let you shoot more to the right or left.

Sound advise from others, your grip should be loose enough just to balance the bow in your hand.I usually have a couple fingers that dont even wrap around the grip but rather extend outward away from the grip. A loose grip is what works for me and allows me to be more consistent. 

I suppose it should be mentioned that if you are gripping the bow and it is working for you ...... don't mess with success. I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for messing up anyone's shooting. Yes, I can parrot what all the books and magazine articles over the past 45 years have said, but I also realize that there are a lot of people who shoot extremely well in some rather unorthodox ways. That old saying about "If it ain't broke don't fix it" probably applies here.

Doc

When I first started shooting archery, I used to grip the bow and while I could shoot pretty good, I never was consistent. Out of 5 arrows, 2 would be off, sometimes by quite a bit. I shot my bow for a year before I hunted with it because I didnt want to shoot like that in the woods and injure something. One day I was shooting at a range and a guy noticed I was gripping it and suggested that I try shooting with no grip and just let it rest in my palm and things started coming together with my consistency. Trying new techniques is not always a bad thing, it can help you out alot if you find some that work well for you.