Deer hearing capability

irish_redneck

So I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, I'm sure someone does, just not sure if that person is on here :)

basically I'm wondering what kinda frequencies a deer can hear.

For example, a dog can hear an ultrasonic whistle that has no sound to the human ear. Can a deer also?

Is there a possibility while I'm sitting there all quiet like, breathing slowly through my nose, while silent to me, it may be like a shrill ultrasonic whistle to a deer.

On a side note to this, what about a device that makes a funny noise like this... do you think a deer may eventually come check it out just out of curiousity as to what that damn noise is?

I spend too much time hunting alone, and have too much time to think of these strange things....

Hehehe.I also think of strange things while on watch.I don't know how ultra sonic they can hear but if you have a whistle for dogs take it along.When a deer comes out blow on it and see.It could be a scientific discovery through curiousity.

I know they have one heck of an ear tho.they can hear a whisper from a pretty good distance.Seen that.

One thing i wonder is how good their memory really is.If they seen me in my stand today will they remember in two weeks i was there?

Great question. I have to agree with WNY, most everything I have read is that their hearing is not much different than ours. From watching them their ears are always on the moving. Constantly alert to every sound around them. I look at it like this, the woods are the deers home. If you hear a noise in your house, you will know if its a normal sound our not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...