Safety first this weekend!

First-light

Some of us been at this for many years and some just starting. It only takes one time of carelessness to cause an accident.

I been hunting for 34 years. Last year I shot a buck, checked that it was dead and leaned my gun up against a tree.

It still had a round in it and the safety was off. Gutted the deer and my brother and I dragged it out, gun slung over my shoulder.

If I had fallen or a branch got caught in the trigger-well, I don't need to go on. Just be safe out there and think before and after shooting.

-Good Luck!

• Like 4

Agreed on gun safety and especially on orange, I come from PA originally, so I was brought up on it and I do wear the PA requirement in NY. 2 years ago I passed on a deer fleeting past at about 60 yds...about 30 seconds later I hear booom and then see a guy in SNOW CAMO get up less than 80 yds from me. Nice!

Edited by 7J Everyday

I wish everyone would review their hunter safety workbook ahead of the opener. In case you dont have time it can be summed up like this, Know your target and what's beyond it!!! Oh, and I wish that NY hunter safety book emphasized the importance of wearing orange when hunting with firearms. Hunters kill just as many deer in all of those states that require it. I wouldn't hunt without it. Good luck everyone and please be safe!

I wish everyone would review their hunter safety workbook ahead of the opener. In case you dont have time it can be summed up like this, Know your target and what's beyond it!!! Oh, and I wish that NY hunter safety book emphasized the importance of wearing orange when hunting with firearms. Hunters kill just as many deer in all of those states that require it. I wouldn't hunt without it. Good luck everyone and please be safe!

You aren't kidding.

I have been down range of two deer which were having lead sprayed at them. Both occasions happened on state land and to top it off it was my first time ever hunting deer.

I ate dirt on both occasions but better than eating lead.

Happened up in Sambuca's neck of the woods Tioughnioga WMA in Madison co.

Also had a guy take a sound shot at me.

Its not a fun experience.

Definately something more Hunters should think about - Know your target and what's beyond it!!!

Hey 5.9, I've been to Tioughnioga grouse hunting. The NWTF did some nice work there. Good luck and be safe.

Just like BizRO, i wear tons of orange on my own land. Having hunted in NY only for the last 3 years it never dawnwed on me that it wasn't required until last year when a neighbor walked up to my stand (tracking a shot deer) dressed head-to-toe in Camo. If you're on the move, please put on an orange hat.

Good point burmjohn about not using your scope as binocs. Never really understood why someone wouldnt wear orange in gun season you are just asking for trouble. I hunt my own land and require everyone on my property to wear it or stay in camp. And believe me I get resistance every year. Just dont get it

I look for hunters as much as I do for deer. This way if I see a guy move in I reposition myself as to have my back where i saw them sit down and I put the tree that I sit at between me and him. I too wear an orange hat, coat and pants. It just gives me piece of mind if I get up and move a little.