Legal hunting hours need revising

WhitetailAddict11

wanna know what would lessen those early and late shots? Make it bucks only. When everyone has dmp's and a brown is down attitude, as soon as they can see through a scope, they shoot, since it does not matter as long as they think it is a deer. In my area, there are very few if any dmp's and I honestly do not hear those early shots, and rarely a late shot.

Nah-you don't want to bomb them. We had a deer enter the impact area up at Ft. Drum, while we were doing direct fire with our 105's-there's not much left to salvage at that point. This thing ran right in front of a target just when we pulled the lanyard. The 105 decimated it!

was it dawn or dusk? Just curious of the time.

Funny thing, I'll bet that plenty of guys had NO idea WTF "sunrise or sunset" times were or that there even was something official setting it. They would just figure when the could see it must be sunrise??

Anybody wanna take that bet??

Ever since the last thread about it guys are just starting to notice. Funny deal.........

i'd bet on that

Nothing illegal about loaded guns after dark.

yeah but i still think they knew they were being bad guys..... i went out today w my bro and our dogs and found the blood trail from the deer they shot i backtrailed and saw were they shot it (on our land) and then followed the blood trail it got dark on me but from the look of it they never found the deer so im goin out tommorow and see if i can find it...... hopefully i find it i hate to see the deer go to waste even tho the meats prob no good.....

I don't mind following the law, but if you are going to make it do it across the board for turkey, deer, duck, fishing, small game. If I am not mistaken you can predator hunt at night. Wouldn't you thing that would be dangerous. How good can you see whats behind what your shooting at, at 30 yards in the dark. More than likely you are shooting from the ground, deerhunting 90% of hunters are hunting from tree stands, where your bullet is going on a downward angle. So all and all don't just pick on deerhunting for changing hunting hours. Safety is from within, not a time factor.

P.S. People get killed during deer drives, why don't they outlaw deer drives. Most deer drives happen in the middle of the day, when there is plenty of light. There is a safety issue. Just saying..

Maybe im wrong and im sure someone would LOVE to point out that i am..... but i feel like they made the times the way they are because they know people are going to break it anyways. If it was first light to last light people would try and get away with no light which to me makes things much more dangerous. Atleast this way those who feel the urge to pull the trigger early and try and get away with it will most likely do it with some visibility.

I like the legal hunting hours the way they are. Similar to our speed limits.. If one is reasonably close to the limit then you aren't likely to get in trouble. Flagrant disregard for the "spirit" of the law ought to end in tickets. If a nice deer comes out under my treestand 30 yds away 10 minutes before legal hours , I most likely will harvest that deer. Only an idiot would shoot 100 yds through the woods or fields , where they when they cannot clearly see the background. A little off topic but antler restrictions would probably slow down the brown is down mentality a little.

They do age 14 until you are 16 you can't hunt from a tree stand during gun season.

where can i find this.I never head this.I was going to buy my 12 yr old his own climber for next yr when he will be 13.That is plain nuts they can't hunt from a stand.A ladder stand is safe enough for a kid isn't it.

where can i find this.I never head this.I was going to buy my 12 yr old his own climber for next yr when he will be 13.That is plain nuts they can't hunt from a stand.A ladder stand is safe enough for a kid isn't it.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/46245.html

For gun hunting (14-15 years old )both adult and child must wear orange and hunt from the ground. Doesn't say anything about bow (12-15 years old) although the child cannot be out of voice range so you would have to be in a 2 man ladder stand or side by side trees

They do age 14 until you are 16 you can't hunt from a tree stand during gun season.

that is the first step give them dec guys an inch. But you totally missed my point. Maybe they should outlaw hunting entirely. Wearing orange does not make you safer in the dark, or extreme dusk. Maybe neon signs, or just follow the laws in place now.

I like the legal hunting hours the way they are. Similar to our speed limits.. If one is reasonably close to the limit then you aren't likely to get in trouble. Flagrant disregard for the "spirit" of the law ought to end in tickets. If a nice deer comes out under my treestand 30 yds away 10 minutes before legal hours , I most likely will harvest that deer. Only an idiot would shoot 100 yds through the woods or fields , where they when they cannot clearly see the background. A little off topic but antler restrictions would probably slow down the brown is down mentality a little.

I dont know where you hunt but i have seen D,E,C give tickets for shooting 1min past leagal shooting light, Thats no bull hockey either and if your coming out of the woods after leagal light by law your bow or gun is supposed to be disabled with a lock of some type, Unless your carrying 4 shot or larger for coyotes and then you better not have slugs on you, Just saying the last 2 days its been hard to climb out of my tree at sunset and walk out to sit in my car and see the deer start moving, I understand why the law is there i agree with it for gun hunting, but bow hunting its just silly, The D.E.C is driving around how hard is it for them to pick a road listen for the shot and wait for you at your car until you come out of the woods, and telling them your watch is off is not acceptable at least around here, What does a person such as my self say when i dont carry a watch i use the clock in my cell phone its linked to the atomic clock so its always right, Im not risking the fines and the name in the paper over shooting a deer, To me its not worth it, This is a pic of my woods 15 mins, before leagal light yesterday, Im the only one in it the tree in the middle of the picture is 23 yds away the deer trail is this side of the tree my stand is 16 feet up and if deer walked down it i would have had to wait, im sorry if i find that silly

post-2347-0-88602700-1353321669_thumb.jp

not when everyone there has doe permits.

yeah but i still think they knew they were being bad guys..... i went out today w my bro and our dogs and found the blood trail from the deer they shot i backtrailed and saw were they shot it (on our land) and then followed the blood trail it got dark on me but from the look of it they never found the deer so im goin out tommorow and see if i can find it...... hopefully i find it i hate to see the deer go to waste even tho the meats prob no good.....

I was just noting that there is nothing illegal about it because you insinuated there was.

if your coming out of the woods after leagal light by law your bow or gun is supposed to be disabled with a lock of some type, Unless your carrying 4 shot or larger for coyotes and then you better not have slugs on you,

Wrong. That is blatently false information. There is no law which ststes anything of the sort. Think Im wrong? Prove it.

That someone pointed out the facts? Honestly Bubba, I asked you to come up with the law you said existed about a month or month and a half ago, and you had no response. Its an open challenge.

The challenge will go unchallenged because no law exists in that regard.

In years past if the DEC finds corn in the teeth of the deer, they make the hunter take them to the kill spot. Illegal baiters are then issued fines and pay the consequences.

Honestly, I know guys that are starting to take a tube of Crest and a old toothbrush in the woods and take care of that before they get tripped up by Johnny Law.

You are so stoned Biz.........I certainly hope the DEC has better things to do than check the teeth for corn. Maybe they will test the piss/blood for steroids? If that deer had high blood pressure they'd hit ya for a salt block?

Edited by Lawdwaz