coyotes took down full size doe

RobC

My dad watched two or three coyote take down a full size doe the other day while he was checking wells. He came up on a doe which was foaming at the mouth pretty bad and she took a few steps from behind a tree and her ass end was tore up pretty bad then she took off and the coyotes came out right behind her. We also hunt this land and seems like the population is getting bigger every year. We've find fawn remains every year and the squirrel and deer population has almost disappeared. Haven't seen more then a couple squirrels and a few days ago pushed the whole property without seeing a thing. Can a coyote population decimat all wildlife in an area like this?

get some road kill and set it up near your stands.It won't affect the deer hunting and you might be able to help with the population control.Coyotes don't care about food supply.they will decimate everything they can devour and just move on to the next area.I know there are alot of guys that would love to get permission to trap them for ya.Its like 50 a pelt for a trapped pelt i think.

I bet if you put it out there to some trappers they would have them under control by next season.

I don't think a yote is gonna be much of a threat to a healthy adult deer. Good possabilty she may have been shot/wounded and that's why they caught up to her.

No sence in them wasting precious time and energy chasing healthy game with so many easy meals (gut piles) out there this time of year.

I was Hunting Vermont during there rifle season last week and as I cut into my spot all I could hear was tons of Yotes over the mountain howling and going crazy. Then all I heard was crunch, crunch, crunch and a big sized doe came flying down from where the Yotes were and went flying in the other direction. Kinda spooky as it was just getting light but those Coyotes sure scared the hell out of that deer. Wish I would have seen some of them that week.

My uncle has a stuffed yote that he shot off the farm after seeing it eating a deer that was still barely kicking. I figure more than one killed the deer idk but the yotes will for sure hurt the deer pop if theres a lot of them and they stay in the area. I'd start feeding them some lead.

Edited by HuntOrBeHunted

Have photos of two taking down huge 8 pt, both attacked his rear quarters till he went down, so believe me they can and will take down a healthy deer given the opportunity

Not trying to be a smarty pants, but just because he was a "huge 8pt" doesn't mean he was heathy.

The OP stated the deer he saw taken down was foaming from the mouth. That aint healthy,lol

I'm sure there are instances where it has happened, but I'd bet the farm that the majority of the time there is some other influence on mature deer falling to yotes. Deep snows, bumb legs, internal injuries from collisions just a few examples. Sometimes what we see is just the end result of a compilation of events that led up to a deer falling to predation.

Not trying to be a smarty pants, but just because he was a "huge 8pt" doesn't mean he was heathy.

The OP stated the deer he saw taken down was foaming from the mouth. That aint healthy,lol

I'm sure there are instances where it has happened, but I'd bet the farm that the majority of the time there is some other influence on mature deer falling to yotes. Deep snows, bumb legs, internal injuries from collisions just a few examples. Sometimes what we see is just the end result of a compilation of events that led up to a deer falling to predation.

I bet if a few coyotes chased you around long enough that they could be eating your hind quaters while you're still alive.........................you'll be foaming at the mouth as well

• Like 1

I agree with wooly.But if you don't get those yotes out of there they will hurt your herd bad.

There are some forums just for trapping.Talk to the land owners if you aren't,and get it lined up to get them trapped out of your area.

If you get enough snow they will feast on the deer and when the fawns are born they will feast on the fawns too.Besides they are hurting your small game hunting as well.

I actually just took my trapping course this summer. Wasn't planning on trapping coyote first thing but I guess I'll being investing some time and effort into it earlier then planned. I've saved a few carcasses too. But this morning on a property down the road when walking in I jumped a deer and the biggest coyote I ever saw flew across the trail 50 yards in front of me in the same direction.

Well we can guess and speculate but as far as I can see deer seemed to be healthy, buddy of mine said dec did study ( his brother in law works there ) they set up a bunch of trail cams in a place were there was a big population and in the spring they were pulling newborns right out of the does, hunting partner got a shot at one this morning

Mabye she was foaming at the mouth because she had here a$$ chewed off, just a thought

Edited by Marcygirl

Well we can guess and speculate but as far as I can see deer seemed to be healthy, buddy of mine said dec did study ( his brother in law works there ) they set up a bunch of trail cams in a place were there was a big population and in the spring they were pulling newborns right out of the does, hunting partner got a shot at one this morning

Can't count the times I have heard the stories if trail cam photo's of coyote's and fawns - from dragging dozens into a den or the pulling from a doe.

And yet have never seen one posted anywhere?

Wonder why?

I'd much rather have a fox problem than a coyote problem.. Our vet lives less than 2 miles from me. Her dog (not sure of the breed, medium size, cocker-spaniel-ish) got taken out of her back yard, 15-yards from her back door while she was in the shower last spring. She said that she heard what was going on, looked out the window and saw 3-yotes tearing her dog apart. Nothing she could do obviously. I know that they are only doing what they're supposed to do, but I find them to be mangy, disgusting, vile creatures. I coyote hunt when i get the chance, and would never hesitate to dispatch one at any time. Would especially love to get one of those big black Alpha males running around this hillside.. In my opinion, the coyote should be classified as a pest, or unprotected. Theres at least 2-3 packs near my house almost every night. I don't think we have a shortage of them. Not to mention, their only real predator is man, and the few trappers we have I doubt will even put a dent in their population.

Edited by BlasterMaster42
  • Like 1

I can't stand coyotes. I hunt them but they are very keen and skittish up here in the N.E. I have called in some over the years and harvested them but they are classified as one of the most adaptable creatures on the plant. They can smell twice a whitetail deer.

What do you think this big one can do for damage? I'm thinking this one a few others could do some serious small and big game eradication. First pic is an big one. The second pic is a average one.

post-776-0-32655900-1353849788_thumb.jpg

post-776-0-08094300-1353849868_thumb.jpg

Well anyone in the southern tier want to help me trap and hunt these dang things? I've tried hunting them without any success and I'm new to trapping as you can be. Hands on help or threw here would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I know my memory is on it's way out, but am I the only one who remembers a video posted here that showed a sequence of pictures (taken from a video I assume) that depicted a rather large, healthy looking buck being taken down and killed by some coyotes? I have no idea how to locate it, but I'm very sure I saw it here somewhere. Anybody else remember that thread and the pictures? I can't even remember how many coyotes were involved, but it certainly answered the question of whether healthy adult deer can be killed by coyotes.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know my memory is on it's way out, but am I the only one who remembers a video posted here that showed a sequence of pictures (taken from a video I assume) that depicted a rather large, healthy looking buck being taken down and killed by some coyotes? I have no idea how to locate it, but I'm very sure I saw it here somewhere. Anybody else remember that thread and the pictures? I can't even remember how many coyotes were involved, but it certainly answered the question of whether healthy adult deer can be killed by coyotes.

Your memory is correct, I recall it too.

I think these are the series you are talking about? http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/coyote-kill-310